• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Test kits

JonRivers

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good set of test kit?

also i have some Salifert test kits from my marine tank, will these work the same?

Many thanks!

I know marine tanks thrive on testing, freshwater is a complete other beast though. Most marine values are in the same range and so test are far more trustworthy, fresh water values can differ hugely making test far more unreliable ( the 'easy'consumer tests, a waterlab can do them fine). Hence the Estimative Index in which we add plenty ( cheap with dry powders) and do large waterchanges to keep values from creeping up to much.
In lower light/less plants we add less ferts, or use Darrel's "Duckweed index".

Apart from No2, No3, Ph and Ammonia is there anything else worth testing for Ian?

Just select kits that include reference standards, eg, Seachem Nitrogen

Check the fine print (or contact technical support) as to whether kits you have are suitable for freshwater use, some are, some aren’t

Hobby test kits are a breeze to use, and can be reasonably precise and “accurate enough”
But
they are only as good as the operator

Check your water supplier for tap parameters - most have some online data (and more detailed information available upon request) - as that will give you a known starting point

I fail to see why the range of possible freshwater values would generate inaccurate results ... any time you measure an endpoint parameter for a kit, standard procedure is to then dilute the sample with RO water and test the dilutions

I rarely test my tanks (anymore) - fish behaviour/activity is generally sufficient (but also depends on a level of experience), I do keep some 5in1 etc test strips at hand so I can check tap vs tank parameters

I like the idea of 'calibrating' a test kit with RO, im surprised that is not something I picked up from the marine hobby.

Interesting point.

Thank you for your input.

Hi all,
any time you measure an endpoint parameter for a kit, standard procedure is to then dilute the sample with RO water and test the dilutions
That is the important bit, which-ever test kit you use.
I like the idea of 'calibrating' a test kit with RO, im surprised that is not something I picked up from the marine hobby.
Fresh water is a bit different in that it varies from really soft and ion deficient (black-water) to hard and carbonate buffered (Rift Lakes etc.).

One of the advantages of salt water, in terms of testing, is that it is really salty and carbonate buffered. It also doesn't differ much in composition all over the world's oceans, so you always have a known number of chlorine (Cl-) ions etc. which you can factor into the test kit.

Have a look at @alto's comments towards the bottom of page 2. of <"Best way to cycle......"> , the whole thread is worth a read if you have time.

cheers Darrel

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good set of test kit?

also i have some Salifert test kits from my marine tank, will these work the same?

Many thanks!

Hi Jon,

Choice of test kits is obviously determined by what you have in your tank(s). By which, I mean - plants, fish, shrimps, snails and anything else that I may have overlooked. And I am fully aware that many people do not use test kits. But I'm a firm believer in using them. As regards using Salifert marine test kits for freshwater tanks, I cannot answer that question. Unfortunately, the Salifert web site will not help you at all. The last time I looked at their site (about two weeks ago), their freshwater test kit section was 'Under Construction'. It's being saying that for over a year!

So, what's in your tank?

JPC

Hi Jay,

Thanks for you reply. I'm still only marine at the moment, just doing as much research as possible at the moment.

I intend to get started with the fresh water next month

Cheers!

To measure Phosphate in freshwater I use the Salifert PO₄ Profi Test Kit, it appears to indicate where I expect it to when calibrated. I have to add that the tank water I use it on (testing for phosphate depletion when extending water changes) has water remineralised to around 8dKH which is in the marine range for carbonate hardness.

Back