• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vallisneria Spiralis and Crypto Parva Problems.

KamsAquarium

Seedling
Hi all,

Just having a few problems with my 4 day old tank (I know its early days, but I'm a panicking newbie).

So I noticed V. Spiralis melting/going brown on the second day of it planted. The crowns are above the substrate to prevent rot. Is this normal, I read they bounce back after acclimatising?

Also my Cryptocoryne Parva is developing brown patches/ holes?

I am dosing my 10 gal with Neutro T ferts, NO CO2. As I want this to be a low tech tank! Im not sure how good neutro T is, I was thinking of investing in a fert with Nitrate/nitrites?

The substrate I am using is Caribsea sand with a layer of tropica plant growth substrate underneath.

Also there is a film on the surface of my tank (biofilm?). Should I do water change, the tank is cycling so I assumed I should let the good bacteria establish, I had a bacterial bloom on my second/third day which has cleared up (don't have a test kit atm).

Sorry for so many questions, and excuse my ignorance!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the crypts... this is the classic crypt melt where they shed their emergent leaves which have been grown out of the water in the nurseries and build new growth more readily adapted to underwater growth. The vallis surprises me a little more. If the roots look white and healthy and you start to see new growth soon then you shouldn't have any problems, just remove the dead leaf matter to prevent a build up of organics which algae will want to feast upon.

Hey Matt, thanks for the reply. Good to know that’s normal for crypts! :)

I have attached a pic of the Vallis ( excuse the brown water, the wood I put in is leaching tannins). I think the crowns to deep into the substrate right? Should I trim the brown leaves?
FDDC7C26-59D8-41BF-8BBA-3B251C795E9D.jpeg

Yes, water changes would be good, won't affect the beneficial bacteria/archaea, but will remove dissolved organics, from the dying leaves etc. Yes, trimming off the brown leaves will help too.
Not having a test kit is fine, they can have you worrying about nothing :)
I would raise the vallis a little bit, so you can see the base of the leaves.
There are some good threads on here explaining more about the nitrogen cycle if you fancy some in-depth reading.
hth

Thank you so much sparky! I don't have the fancy aquatic pruning scissors lol, can I just pull the vals trim them and put them back in, I don't want to agitate/ upset it too much? or shall i just trim them using normal scissors? I will do a 20% water change tomorrow and siphon some of the dead leaves on the sand. :)

You just need sharp scissors (and make sure to dry thoroughly after as rust may develop in the joint - I rinse with tap, then 70% alcohol (drugstore brand ;)) and spread open to dry)

The Vallisneria is typical of (cheap wholesale cost at least) “bunch” plants - it’s usually from outdoor vats, pulled up and quickly tidied for “bunch” or (stuffed in) pot sales, packaged and shipped etc
It may or may not recover, but just be patient - even if it loses all the visible leaves, as long as the root portion is healthy it will develop new shoots
For this reason I suggest leaving in place, every time you lift/replant etc, there is mechanical bruising/damage
Just trim the browning etc leafs as possible (again without tugging on the plant - any sharp fine bladed scissor)

You can also see that the remaining green leafs are translucent in patches, indicating damage or poor plant health (when collected) - if this is actually V spiralis, it will recover - just provide reasonable light and current and nutrients

I recommend 50% water changes to remove all the mess (& invisible organics released) from melting leaves and sand “fines” (which can micro-coat plant leafs)

The Carib Sea sand is finer, denser packing than Tropica recommends for use with Growth Substrate - some plants will do fine, others may struggle. I’d expect grass types including Vallisneria to slowly establish (and invade everywhere ;))

If this Vallisneria dies, I’d put it down to poor supply rather than inhospitable environment :)

Vallisneria spiralis doesn’t much care if the crown is buried

The vallis and cryots will likely both appreciate root tabs to provide some nutrients at their bases if you have or can hold of some.

Thanks alto, I appreciate the help. If only I knew that carib sea sand and Tropica GS don't get on! What kind of plants would you recommend if V.Spiralis don't get on?
In addition to the Tropica GS?
In a new set up?
Do I need roots tabs when I'm dosing neutro t ferts daily and have tropica GS? Wont it be too much? (have no idea lmao)

The Val is planted behind the driftwood as a “background” plant. Could insufficient lighting be a problem?
78991F0D-84DF-4EFA-AB71-B00CE7F94DCB.jpeg

You can use some paper towel to clean up the surface film/scum (much better for surface air exchange)

I wouldn’t add root tabs for several months to a year - wait to see signs of deficiency first - you’ve ready provided a nutrient rich base player plus water column fertilizers

What do you have for lighting and filter?
Tank size?

Can you post a full tank shot (FTS)?

How deep is your Carib Sea sand layer?

I’d consider adding livestock that will sift the sand - not dig as you don’t want to expose the GS

I suspect the damage with the Vallisneria is likely all shipping damage - usually from getting too hot (airport, plane, airport, truck etc) - I suspect it looked in rather better shape when the farm packed it at the start of its journey

I’d add more Vallisneria so that you can place the individual portions 1-2cm apart

Hey Alto,

Its a 10 gallon tank.
Ten Watt LED light (most the plants I opted for were 'low light'.)
Tetra EasyCrystal filter.

A few cm of Tropica GS with an inch of Sand. When I was filling the tank a lot of the sand dispersed and dug out the tropica GS. So I syphoned what I can but you can see some of the GS floating around on the sand in the close up pic :( !

I was thinking putting some cory cats or cherry shrimp? They won't dig will they?
Also any stocking suggestions? I was thinkings 1 Betta, 6 neons and copycats (don't know how many but a school is recommended?) but won't that be overstocking? also I won't be chucking them all in at once haha.

All of the above came with tank.

Last edited:
As Alto says, you don't have to have fancy scissors, just really sharp ones.
Your Neutro T is just trace elements, so you're right to be thinking about a complete fertiliser, with nitrate, phosphorus and potassium, known as NPK.
Alto makes a good point about the vallis, as you've only had the tank running for four days, it was probably not very healthy when you got it. But there's a good chance it will recover.

How deep is the soil near that big amazon sword? You may consider increasing the depth as it grows a bigger root system.

Otherwise it's a waiting game with newly added plants. Often they will take weeks to adapt!

How deep is the soil near that big amazon sword? You may consider increasing the depth as it grows a bigger root system.

Otherwise it's a waiting game with newly added plants. Often they will take weeks to adapt!

Hi
The substrate is deeper at the back 1.5/2 inches. :)

Back