• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

Always been a Peru orientated tank. i always like to see fish together that could meet in real life. I look up the new fish from my preferred (or better only) LFS to see if something tickles my fancy.
At the moment there is plenty in the tank. But if something special i like comes up i might buckle.
I loved the tank when it was "" orinoco"" orientated, i had a good group of altums as the main focus. It has also been a "discus" tank.
My longer term plan is a large shallow one with some special fish, there will be some changes coming next year, so maybe this will be the year the shallow comes ( and the 400 gallon goes).

My longer term plan is a large shallow one with some special fish, there will be some changes coming next year, so maybe this will be the year the shallow comes ( and the 400 gallon goes).
That sounds exciting, what would your plans for it be Ed if it came to fruition?

Something around
298923-neu-tucanoichthys-mann.jpg

Hi Edvet, two months ago I tried to get my hands on the Tucano Tetra but didn't succeed. I asked different shops in the Netherlands to send me an email if they have them available. If I ever hear something I'll let you know!

As beautifull as the tucano's were, the massacered my plants and now they have to go, back to the shop tomorow. Catching them will be a royal pain in the behind, but i will drop waterlevel a lot and see what gives.
Next step will be adding floaters and new plants trying to get the tank green with plants. Also a few weeks ago my trusted Giesemann HQI died ( after 20 years day in day out service already, shocking!) and i replaced it with another pair of 80W T5's, so there are now 4 80W and two TMC tiles.
The cover of moss on the bottom was about 60-65%, problem was all the muck collected under it, huge amount of mulm. I guess this sparked my BGA problems. With the tucano's gone i will clean a bit more ( tucano's were very jumpy) and with the added plantmass i am guessing problem will be gone in a few weeks.
So for now the 'Ugly" and the "Bad", hoping for the "Good" soon.
DSC_7627.jpg

A day later........
Managed to catch them in an hour or so ( waterlevel was about 40 %).
Brought back nice large hatchets (almost 2 inches), Brochis splendens (replenish my group) and some swordplants. Also got floaters from another tank.
Meanwhile the tank was filled with tapwater, added fish and planted everything ( Echinodorus bleheri and E. impai).

DSC_7655_copy.jpg

DSC_7662_copy.jpg

One more box of plants and now we play the waiting game
Plants: Echinodurus horemanni/uruguayensis,E. grisebachi bleheri, E. martii/major, E.paleafolius, E. cordifolius 'fluitans', E. grandifolius, E.osiris 'rubra', E.schluteri leopard, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Myrophyllum 'Santa Caterina'/aquaticum var. santacantarinense and floaters.
DSC_7754_copy.jpg

DSC_7754_copy kopiëren.jpg

1: palaefolius, 2:cordifolius, 3:martii, 4:cordifolius, 5:bleheri, 6: schluteri, 7: uruguayensis, 8:grandifolius, 9:eek:siris
placement will be changed according to size

Back