• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Putting a layer of Osmocote under soil

Yes it's perfectly fine, and a much cheaper alternative to root tabs, which are often just osmocote in dissolvable capsules. Have in mind though that they'll break down fast in a tropical tank 'cause of the temperature and continual immersion, so you're perhaps best to buy the very slow release type.

Planning it being up for a long time. I was thinking I could use loose Osmocote for the first 6months or so then put in root tabs after that. And will water colours dose too.

Just had a look and the only bags of that I can find are £120 commercial. I have found pellets of it which I guess I could break up and use?

I guess you have to just go with what you can get. There are plenty of 6 and 8 month slow release packets on Amazon and ebay for under a tenner, for intance.

then put in root tabs after that.
You can replenish with more Osmocote; put a few capsules in each compartment of an ice cube tray, top up with water and freeze it. The cubes stay frozen long enough for you to handle them and place them under your substrate, then the ice melts, leaving the Osmocote in position.

Back