• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Improve water circulation

Hanuman

Hello everyone,

So I think I really need to improve circulation. This wasn't a major issue when the scape was initially setup as plants were small and did not stop water from circulating properly but I thinks now it has become a major problem. Flow slow dramatically on the back of the tank and I also tend to have organic accumulation close to the inflow as the water travels back but rather slowly.

Here's the tank:

What would you recommend me doing and how?

Just a note. I can't add another filter so any other option except that one.

Aquael Internal Fan Filter Micro
OtBth5ly1bwHaHa&w=221&h=218&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.jpg

Which is adjustable.....;)
hoggie

Hi....yea looks as though the Vallis is using up a lot of space and taking over that back section!
You could remove some or replace it with something else...….Rotala sp would be a choice or Didiplis diandra.
Or move the Ludwigia into that area!
hoggie

Hi....yea looks as though the Vallis is using up a lot of space and taking over that back section!
Indeed. It's spreading everywhere. I have to constantly cut the runners. It's a very invasive plant.

You could remove some or replace it with
I have been contemplating for a while to completely remove Vallisneria from the tank for the reason I stated above but I always feel bad about removing plants, reason why I haven't done it so far. But I have the feeling I should as it will also ease on the maintenance and certainly improve circulation. I might make a separate topic for people to critic my tank and what other enhancements I could do to it in general, not necessarily relating to water circulation.

Thank you Hoggie.

Looks nice and all but those power heads from maxspect don't look that suitable for planted tanks with long stem plants and small fish and shrimps. Couldn't they get all sucked in the turbine?

It was just an example of a powerhead that I use;) But long stems going to the surface could be an issue and yes as with any pump/powerhead without without a prefilter baby shrimp/fish will get though the mesh guards ( or eaten by the fish).

I removed all the Valisneria from the scape. Now pondering what to add or move in that empty space. I had several ideas in mind. What would you guys do:
1 - move the Ludwigia palustris one step back. I could then use that wood to add some bucephalandra I have in my stock tank or even add some of the Eriocaulon a friend gave to me. or;
2 - move the Hygrophila Polysperma that I have on the other side of the tank in this empty spot. Just concerned water circulation will start being blocked again, or;
3 - add a totally different stem plant
4 - other ideas?

Thanks.

IMG_1393.JPG

Back