• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

Looks great and has recovered well in the past few weeks, interesting that the stems are reacting like that, more than enough light available now that they dlnt need to reach up and start creeping instead you think?

What's your stocking list looking like now with the new additions?

Looks great mate how long has the light been on 100% now?
Thanks Jay. About a couple of weeks or so, I think.
interesting that the stems are reacting like that
Thanks Kalum, Yes the light intensity is at a level where they are bending away from it, hopefully they'll get a little more colour as a result too.
What's your stocking list looking like now with the new additions?
A quick video of the new fish not long after they were introduced...

Thanks Iain. The male hunting for prey in amongst the MC...

48700712122_723ea9027f_b.jpg

Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Looks great Tim.
Now watch the Badis eliminate those pesky cherries...

My Badis didnt last long but know I have lots of RCS, will see how Tims Badis goes on ;)

Sexing was the problem I had with my Rams as well, so nothing would surprise me :rolleyes:
And they are so small it's hard to imagine them tucking in to my cherries, especially the adults.
Either way, since I got rid of the Rams the cherry popn. has exploded, not sure if the Badis will be able to make much of a dent in it anyway.

My Badis didnt last long but know I have lots of RCS, will see how Tims Badis goes on ;)

I have loads of Cherries and the same experience with Badis, Cherries are still there the Badis din't last long. They perished rather soon after my home Daphnia supply busted and the LFS had non in the same periode to reseed and feed. Looking up the wholesaler that provides my region with Badis spp. it always are wild specimen if available and noticed they don't accept froozen foods.

I've been trying to keep Daphnia population from not busting. The best results after the lost badis unfortunately, is using larger volumes outdoor. Past 2 years i have a 90 litre cement tub in the garden. Just water and leaf litter what falls in from surrounding shrubs and trees. Leave the muck collecting at the bottom in it, that seems to be the major food supply.
DSC_0045.JPG

And now i seem to have a rather steady supply that doesn't bust completely. Only when it gets realy warm in the summer the poppulation declines drasticaly but recoveres within a week when temps drops back again. The rest of the time i have always Daphnia available at least every other day a portion during the bust cycles. At cooler periodes every day several portions if i like. I guess also the LFS profesional Daphnia supplier suffer booms and Busts, because the Daphnia availability in the LFS is simmularly erratic. I never know when they have or not.
DSC_0046.JPG

Daphnia keeping and boom and bust likely is inevitable, but it's the volumes stability and the numbers left after the bust for a decent and swift recovery. I guess if i would dig the tub in for more temp stability would even be beter. But for now i have non to complain.. Only should have thought of this experiment before wasting any Badis. :)

Last edited:
If you fill half the tub with barley straw this will help no end maintain a daphnia population. Adding some emergent wood will also help insure a good supply of blood worm and mosquito larvae

I think the problem isn't the mature adult shrimp as they are generally too large, more that the badis will stop any babies from reaching that stage meaning a steady decline in numbers. I remember watching a video a while back where 1 pair of badis cleared out a tank with over 1000 shrimp in under 18 months.

They are stunning fish though so dont blame you for giving them a go Tim.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Marcel and Iain for the heads and the tips on culturing live food. Either way, they are stunning and fascinating little critters and hopefully I can get them to survive, if not thrive.

They are pretty bold at meal times, but follow the food as it moves and then pounce. Mine turn up even if it's just to look disappointed there is no live food involved. They ignore microworms - too small to trigger the hunting instinct I think. It's the movement that attracts them - Daphnia, cyclops and brineshrimp are pounced on (baby cherry shrimp too). Where as most fish will suck in anything floating buy to see if it's food, they'll only do it if it moves like it's alive and they'll watch it to see if it's twitching. If you mix live and frozen brine they'll sometimes accidentally confuse the two - and a bit of a current to make it swirl helps - I think if I did it often enough they might learn to take frozen I just rarely feed it.

Thanks Marcel and Iain for the heads and the tips on culturing live food. Either way, they are stunning and fascinating little critters and hopefully I can get them to survive, if not thrive.

They are indeed fascinating lovely and tad difficult little fish with a strict user manual. :)

Other point of caution regarding feeding.
Badids tend to develop issues with obesity and become more susceptible to disease when fed chironomid larvae (bloodworm) or Tubifex so these should be omitted from the diet.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/

Should be omitted seems a bit over concerned action. I guess in nature they also will not discriminate a worm by its color and occasionaly eat one. A variety of diet should be best, going to McDonalds now and then shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks @tam, good to know. And thanks again Marcel, I read that too and thought the same as you.

I know you think likewise and highly like me about it, it truly is a Seriously Fish data base, so i reckoned you did read that. :)

But you do have a nice planted garden if i remember correctly. Why not simply put a number of buckets with water all over the place hidden behind some bushes. Than you already have quite a lot of free food in no time. Mainly mosquite larvae and they come realy fast.

Lately i forgot and left an empty bucket in the garden left it for a week or so and after a rainy night it was 1/4 filled with water. When i noticed and looked in it, it was littered with black mosquito larvae ready to scoop out. Nice accidental upportunety, it took me 3 days feeding the fish to get them all out. :) First time i noticed how fast they actualy come, 10 days maybe.

Than 10 buckets going around in circles i guess its a never ending supply all summer long. Even in mild winters it keeps going on.

lovely as always,

sexing immature Dario is a pain, I would not be surprised if all three are males. Which is probably fine, mine ( a different species but still) don't need that much personal space and are sharing a smaller tank without harming each other. One female might be a bigger issue, with two males she will be harassed all the time.

Back