• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to do about the crypt

GlenD

My actual planted tank has not been set up yet, I have a few plants that I’ve been keeping in the community tank while the main system is getting sorted.

All had been well for weeks with the plants, however I had to move the old system which required draining, removing everything and then re-establishing, this disturbs the substrate a fair bit. But with a 50% water change and over filtration always clear within 12 hours.

However, within a week or two the substrate plants and the glass was filled with various types of algae and it looked an absolute mess. Yesterday I did a 80% water change completely cleaned all the glass, gravel and filters. But my crypt looks like this!

Attachments

• CFF2E8C4-D812-4A5A-977E-923D922CCBE9.jpeg
    CFF2E8C4-D812-4A5A-977E-923D922CCBE9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • 1BC48E4F-187B-4B4D-97CC-EF379A3567FD.jpeg
    1BC48E4F-187B-4B4D-97CC-EF379A3567FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 26C963AC-0D2E-4EFB-B855-A04EEC272B76.jpeg
    26C963AC-0D2E-4EFB-B855-A04EEC272B76.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
I’m rather confused as to what the crypt is sitting in :confused:
But just trim all the leafs back to the base - new ones will grow in quickly if plant is healthy, somewhat slower if plant has been stressed
As long as the rhizome is healthy, crypts will rise again
If plant was struggling before complete upheaval, avoid deep shade
(which most crypts will grow in IF they’re starting from an energized rhizome, eg, Tropica emerse growth pot ... one can also buy (cheap) “pot” plants that are not actually nursery grown in the pots, but just placed therein for sale, these plants will often struggle)

this disturbs the substrate a fair bit. But with a 50% water change and over filtration always clear within 12 hours
after this happens, rinse the filter media the next day to remove all the debris (soon to be water column organics)
and do another 70-80% water change as soon as possible

I had to move the old system which required draining, removing everything and then re-establishing,
I generally drain off sufficient water for temporary livestock bin - mixing 1 part tank water to 1 part tap (ie 50% water change)
Transfer livestock
Then breakdown tank, move etc
Put tank back together
Water change as needed to attain clear water
Clean and reset filter
Transfer livestock back (now moving from 50% tap to 100% tap)

These extra steps help limit algae outbreak as all the visible and less visible organic waste is removed

Sorry for the multiple posts but for some reason I can only do a single copy/paste (or quote) within the reply box

Back