• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Save the Planet Recipes.

A disturbing video from a silent witness... :(

It says "I have no words." Another case of industrial polution in the Amazone Basin.

What is it with those people running such industries and do this for greed. What's money worth if the world you need to spend it in gets distroyed while making some?
It doesn't make sense and it is down right stuppid. The value of money declines and they need to distroy even more to make more. A self inflicted perpetual down spiral. And then they feel and call them selfs smart driving a fast automobile from party to party wearing a fancy suite? In this world we call the wrong people disabled!?. People doing this are simply not only unable but sick in the head and should be locked up for life in the very same safe they keep their money.

A disturbing video from a silent witness... :(

It says "I have no words." Another case of industrial polution in the Amazone Basin.

What is it with those people running such industries and do this for greed. What's money worth if the world you need to spend it in gets distroyed while making some?
It doesn't make sense and it is down right stuppid. The value of money declines and they need to distroy even more to make more. A self inflicted perpetual down spiral. And then they feel and call them selfs smart driving a fast automobile from party to party wearing a fancy suite? In this world we call the wrong people disabled!?. People doing this are simply not only unable but sick in the head and should be locked up for life in the very same safe they keep their money.

Only just saw this thread. I'm completely lost for words myself.....!

Read an interesting article in RICS Modus from last year in which discuss tidal power renewable energy. Alistair McLean of Canadas Offshore Energy Association are doing research into viable use of tidal power after all it's the only reliable renewable source as wind turbines require wind and solar requires sun not always reliable. He goes on to say in most scenarios tides come every 6 hours so if the technology to store it is done its eco friendly and reliable The logistics of huge turbines on coast at or in sea are huge he points out and high investment is needed, (the article says the uk withdrew subsidies to renewables in 2016 as far as sea power) but the benefits would be huge he points out millions of homes and businesses run on renewable energy creating employment and work for technical industry in renewables.
.Optimistically he says if supported in the near future theres no reason to think that by 2040 a third of the worlds energy would be eco friendly
O

Read an interesting article in RICS Modus from last year in which discuss tidal power renewable energy. Alistair McLean of Canadas Offshore Energy Association are doing research into viable use of tidal power after all it's the only reliable renewable source as wind turbines require wind and solar requires sun not always reliable. He goes on to say in most scenarios tides come every 6 hours so if the technology to store it is done its eco friendly and reliable The logistics of huge turbines on coast at or in sea are huge he points out and high investment is needed, (the article says the uk withdrew subsidies to renewables in 2016 as far as sea power) but the benefits would be huge he points out millions of homes and businesses run on renewable energy creating employment and work for technical industry in renewables.
.Optimistically he says if supported in the near future theres no reason to think that by 2040 a third of the worlds energy would be eco friendly
O

I remember a documentary i've seen for over a decade ago about sustainable energy. The show featured an old hippy style chap living all alone in a small cabin at a cliff near the shore. It was a quite rocky environment, could very well be somewhere in UK. That i don't remember..

But he installed a propeller on top of a several metres long PVC pipe and hooked a dynamo to it. I also forgot how such a propeller or fan blade is called but it was the type that always turns clockwise no water the wind direction. He simply stuck the pipe down the cliff in the water 4 metres underwater and 4 metres above the water and the tidal rising and lowering pushed out the air out or sucked it in. Either way, the air replacement in the pipe moves the propeller and dynamo 24/7 providing him with a few volt electricity.

He ran a few lightbulbs and a radio on the power it provided.

:) That man is a genius zozo.I remember a farmer who was so isolated no power line he ran a generator not quite eco so friendly though

:) That man is a genius zozo.I remember a farmer who was so isolated no power line he ran a generator not quite eco so friendly though

Yes indeed, that was the point of the show i guess.. He also said it could very well be implemented on a larger scale along the shores.
But somehow somewhere people living near it don't seem to bother that much about it. Never heard of it again and almost forgot about it myself. I remembered it because you bring something similar up over a decade later.

A funny note that came to my mind during this documentary was..

I'll be darned, humanity is searching for the Perpetuum mobile already for centuries, never found it.. Meanwhile, it is right under our feet forever. At least it will be there for as long as we can speak of humanity :)

Do you know any "Save The Planet Recepies"?

Couple of steps I've implemented quite a long time ago:

1. Whenever I buy bottled water, I pay for the plastic bottle, not for the water. So I buy one 1.5l water every 1-2 months at work and re-fill it from the tap every day.
2. Imagine how much paper/plastic is wasted if you buy tea/coffee in tea/coffee bags. I buy loose tea/coffee instead.
3. I've nearly completely quit drinking Coke/Pepsi/any drinks from those companies (I drink it maybe 1-2 times a year). They are one of the biggest polluters on Earth.
4. I don't buy tray packaged meat anymore, I go to the butcher and buy cut meat instead (still packed in foil, but less waste).
5. I don't use pesticides or ferts in my garden, use nettle liquid feed instead - it gives me the most tasty tomatoes on Earth.
6. I've never ever in my life (or I don't remember doing that) bought any of the packaged pre-cut vegetables or fruits, generally sh.t like this:
vegs.jpg
Nature has a better way of wrapping them - and it's recyclable.

And BTW something really interesting to read:

Fighting Pests By Planting Wildflowers Instead of Using Chemicals

I heat my house using wood fuel central heating. I used to do quite a bit of foraging, even picking up roadkill, but now I have an allotment. I also cycle most places. I don't buy new clothes unless it is working dress. I don't wear anything under my trousers. Most of my land is left for nature and my house is covered in bird boxes. Sometimes I create ponds and wood-stacks. My profession is protecting the environment. I usually move to walking distance to commute on foot. I don't fly or go on holiday. I don't travel to see friends or family more than a couple of times a year. To save on water I have a stream, but I also bath in the lake in the summer. I minimized showers a few years ago and don't mind that. I don't buy all that stuff in the supermarkets very much, but I have big weaknesses on smoking that do effect the environment. I pickle and salt my preserves, and I'm looking at building a solar food dryer. I've been making homemade wine forever, and most of that comes from the hedge. Here are two things that I think you should try.
1. meadowsweet tea - use one or two young fresh flowers to a cup - also makes an incredibly complex wine. Also try water mint tea - excellent because it tastes unique and cleans mouth bacteria like mouthwash if you have it strong.
2. tree leaves - young hawthorn leaves taste like nuts so whenever you go out in the spring you don't need to bring sandwiches, maybe a single slice of bread. Lime leaves are great all year. If you eat herbs and flowers you effect invertebrates disproportionately, whereas trees are huge things.

Reminds me of me and my brother on summer Sunday afternoons dad would take us a walk Probably I realise now it was to avoid any strife at home because he would have been fo his sunday dinner time drink at the local. Anyway we also remember this country cottage next to a poultry farm were the house owner would invite anyone he knew to his home for his brewed nettle beer I would imagine not many declined . Think dad knew the were to go in the countryside

Are their commercial objectives here .?I notice some of the older gardening "experts" are putting in print that it does no harm tò harvest peat from peat bogs for composts. It seems one step forward and chip away at the truth even thought it proven compost can be peat free and grow anything.

Hi all,
I notice some of the older gardening "experts" are putting in print that it does no harm tò harvest peat from peat bogs for composts.
This has been going on since the 1970s. My very short research career was looking at <"peat alternatives">.

You can put up all sorts of figures that show peat is accumulating faster than we harvest it, but they are all untrue.

Commercial growers want to use white sphagnum peats ("a nature reserve in a bag"), because they are nutrient free and have excellent air and water holding capacities. They are a "blank slate" and you can do whatever you want with them. They will never voluntarily give them up.

cheers Darrel

I think peat is tricky, for non professionals it seems a non brainer to just stop it's use. I'm not familiar with professional growers and their reasons for using it so what Darrel says above makes it hard to think they would ever give it up. My thoughts though go to the alternatives. I see coir is being used more and more but has anyone actually looked into the potential damage it could do. I know it probably started as a byproduct of the coconut industry but I can only see if the demand increases, a similar production system to palm oil develop. It might come in bone dry and compressed but it still has to be shipped from half way around the world.

I suppose these dilemas are always going to happen @mòrt. Cant help thinking there are all ready loads of alternatives if coir importation becomes a problem. Palm Oil thats a real issue maybe until it can be stopped a warning sign on these products to say it contains palm oil How many of us check?. Problem is huge due to goverments al having different agendas and commercial considerations its a struggle. The world is changing for the worst IMO unless all the richest nations can agree

What about Soybeans? And all the nature destroyed to farm it... And governments are pushing society to eat less meat or even better become vegetarian? To reduce livestock farming and the meat industry, which should be better for the environment. They fart too much... And all so-called responsible vegetarians I know demand fake meat made from soy as an alternative. No meat but it should look and taste the same? And or drink soy milk? Why should it be fake milk?

Digging a new hole to fill another?

What about Soybeans? And all the nature destroyed to farm it... And governments are pushing society to eat less meat or even better become vegetarian? To reduce livestock farming and the meat industry, which should be better for the environment. They fart too much... And all so-called responsible vegetarians I know demand fake meat made from soy as an alternative. No meat but it should look and taste the same? And or drink soy milk? Why should it be fake milk?

Digging a new hole to fill another?
if you Watch the series Rotten on Netflix, there are a lot of foods that you would think twice about eating or wasting, and its only 2 series in

if you Watch the series Rotten on Netflix, there are a lot of foods that you would think twice about eating or wasting, and its only 2 series in
Ok I'll have a look thanks!... :)

I guess it will be about impossible not to eat soy nowadays... Or you have to be particularly picky and read all the labels carefully. If we do then we'll see loads of products that have soy in it one way or another. I'm not really a label scrutinizer and already noticed soy in products I didn't think of it would have it. :)

But I'm glad I can and love to cook and enjoy spending lots of time in the kitchen. Almost every day, it's like therapy for me. I might be a Kitchen Hermit I guess. I never buy complete meals and rarely go to restaurants. I can cook delicious stuff for a week for the same money as 1 dinner for 4 in a restaurant.

Back