• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Traps

Onoma1

I am suffering from a shrimp explosion atm and want to transfer some across to another tank without going in with a net and disturbing the rest of the fish and plants. I wondered if anyone had experience of using shrimp traps, advice on which one to buy or any other advice?

Attachments

• 20190920_123845.jpg
    20190920_123845.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 138
I'd try a DIY first

Thank you. I used to use these when I was a child to catch minnows and sticklebacks (old wine bottles with the tip of the inverted cone to catch sediment knocked through). I didn't realise they would work for shrimp.

I used a bottle trap to do the same thing. Shrimp are very easy to catch with something tasty.

I have used the inverted bottle trap to catch bristlenose. But the bottle is too big for my one gallon shrimp bowl, so I made one using superglue and transparency paper. I’m testing it out next week and will report back if it works.

Attachments

• 7FA78D6F-9755-482E-8825-005A7DD1D6F3.jpeg
    7FA78D6F-9755-482E-8825-005A7DD1D6F3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
I have used the inverted bottle trap to catch bristlenose. But the bottle is too big for my one gallon shrimp bowl, so I made one using superglue and transparency paper. I’m testing it out next week and will report back if it works.
After a week trial, my innovation trapped many snails, but no Amano shrimp. I have no idea if it will trap cherry shrimp, but Amano is too smart to get trapped.

Back