• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many fish initially?

GlenD

Hi guys I’ve set up my system, the link to the journal is in my signature. It was a dirt tank that was set up for two weeks before plants went in, over the past week I’ve added snails and shrimps. I’ve also added one of the sponges from my establish Fluva’s filter and perhaps a handful or so of BioMax from the other filter.

I have around 16 fish (Small Tetras) to move over from my old system into the new one, this evening I’ve put 4 in. How long do you think I need to wait to add the rest, if at all in a heavy planted tank.

When I did mine, at this point I put all the media from my old filter in and moved them over, but you could also move them in two batches if you wanted to hedge your bets.

Four lone tetras in that big tank (especially if they’re coming from a smaller system) ... I’d add the rest next day

Even 16 small tetras in a 90 x 45 x 45 cm aquarium is not a much of a bioload, especially as you’ve already transferred some biomedia, and doing frequent water changes

OTOH if there is significant amounts of that Cyanobacteria (and there’s no need to rush) I’d wait on adding more livestock - I’d not have moved the 4 tetras but now they’re there, you’ll need to balance stress level (depending on fish species)

Back