• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worth the time?

Aqua360

Hi all

Currently working on a 10l Dennerle cube, hoping to turn it into a box of green healthy plants!

The staurogyne, Monte Carlo etc are coming on, however today I added moss, tied with fishing line to some mesh, in the hopes that this will take off.

It's a mix of Java and Christmas moss, and (ahem, algae).

Misting regularly, can I expect this to develop quickly? Or is there a better method I should use before investing the time to wait on this? I realise it's a bit haphazard, and I could have spread it out a bit better.

IMG_20191006_232520.jpg
IMG_20191006_232540.jpg

I’d rework that moss on screen :)
(from photo, looks as if moss is held loosely with a few strings)

Likely easiest is just to chop the moss into bits, layer some gel glue on the screen, “sprinkle” moss ... this should provide a much more even, thin layer coverage that will fill in more quickly (& look better while doing so ;))

If that’s dry-start-method, I suggest removing some of the standing water (substrate should be damp)

I’d rework that moss on screen :)
(from photo, looks as if moss is held loosely with a few strings)

Likely easiest is just to chop the moss into bits, layer some gel glue on the screen, “sprinkle” moss ... this should provide a much more even, thin layer coverage that will fill in more quickly (& look better while doing so ;))

If that’s dry-start-method, I suggest removing some of the standing water (substrate should be damp)

Good shout on the moss, think I'll do it tonight.

Yeah agreed on the water level, oddly the plants have been growing well in it, I've been lazy and waiting for it to evaporate a bit, also I had to transition the staurogyne from submersed back to emersed.

I've got a fair bit of weeping moss left over if you need any more to bulk it out (probably enough to cover that whole mesh without needing to chop up)

let me know and i can pop it in the post or you're welcome to collect mate

I've got a fair bit of weeping moss left over if you need any more to bulk it out (probably enough to cover that whole mesh without needing to chop up)

let me know and i can pop it in the post or you're welcome to collect mate

That's a really good shout, whereabouts are you Kallum?

over in Fife mate, i'll be through in Livingstone Friday afternoon if that's useful at all

Hi, whats this for? For display or like a nursery?

Plants should grow fine. I think the repens could get tall, so trim and replant tops regularly if thats not your aim.

Hi Kezzab,

I really just want it to be a lush box of greenery, ill let the staurogyne get a bit taller then cut back; these days I enjoy emersed plants far easier than submerged! :)

over in Fife mate, i'll be through in Livingstone Friday afternoon if that's useful at all

Think I'll struggle, keen on the moss though and appreciate you mentioning it.

What I'll likely do is get some gel glue as the guys suggested above, and see if I can spread the moss I have more sparingly, and if that doesn't cut it, take you up on buying some of your moss!

No worries, I dont want anything for it btw so it's yours if you want it

Just be careful and not use too much glue as anything that is covered by it will die, you want to use it as an anchor for anything that is then attached to that but off moss if that makes sense

Back