• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10 gallon planted

JoshP12

Here we go (this is also my first post on the website!). My first go at a planted tank; after several mistakes, I have this, which I am happy to have, but not satisfied with. I recently got the co2 injection started and have raised my KH to 4dkh so that I can hit that 30ppm with only dropping to 6.6 ph.

Any thoughts are welcomed (especially thoughts on improving the aquascape!)

Equipment:
Aquaclear 30 on back center
Aquaclear 20 on side

Co2 injection

Nicrew RGB planted tank light (dimmed 75% with 7 hour photoperiod)

Flourite substrate with miracle gro DIY root tabs

Aside from adjusting my water chemistry, I am going to be fixing those rotala rotundifolia (they are curved because of the flow from the filters) -- I am thinking canister filter for next step -- thoughts?

view

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 148
Hi, welcome to the site. I'm not much of an aquascaper so I'll let others comment on that but I will just say that your amazon swords will likely take over a large part of the tank. They have the ability to develop into truly massive plants so you might think about switching them for something smaller.

Thanks Mort!

For the swords: will their root system take over or the plant itself? I have been quite excited to see them grow (since adding CO2) ... they weren't growing very well before.

It's both tbh. They can easily get to 50cm plus tall and about the same in diameter, with a root system to match. They are one of my favourites and when I first setup my 60x45x45cm I added one. When I finally brought myself to remove it it filled a 25l salt bucket. That was all in a low tech tank although it did have decent root feeding.

If you want a replacement thats fairly similar there are plenty of echinodorus species, some real monsters but others developed to stay much smaller. I haven't really explored them much and hopefully someone will give you some good choices but I do know echinodorus aquartica is a smaller one. Another choice for a similar plant that stays small and grows well is helanthium quadricostatus. If you want to go a little different then Sagittaria subulata is good but there are lots of good for ground plants depending on what you like.

Back