• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

65 gallon tall planted

JoshP12

All I have for you right now is the large piece of wood that I will attach slate to to keep it sunk.

Just starting this right now, so I can keep the entire process documented.

I am thinking a combination of sand in the front and of course dirt around the wood. Some kind of stone barrier too.

Could also throw the wood on its side. When I get the tank set up, I’ll take some photos for feedback.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 326
  • ECE81F3A-A096-4FEC-8F51-59A27413B594.jpeg
    ECE81F3A-A096-4FEC-8F51-59A27413B594.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 200
  • B7BD16C7-6AB9-48D7-AB7B-53C46F87CD74.jpeg
    B7BD16C7-6AB9-48D7-AB7B-53C46F87CD74.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
That's a nice piece of wood
Thanks!!!!
The hard part is inside is so porous that I will almost certainly need to cut lots of small pieces of slate and drill them in to a firm piece of the wood. Otherwise, he will float immensely — I’ve toyed with cementing the inside, but baby shrimp may enjoy going in there, so I am not sure.

Quick update: I moved the old 10 gallon, which is now a holding tank/grow out for plants that I want to use (I’ll still need to place a giant order I think before I flood it), so the space is clear.

Time to build the stand (I did buy this on) + place the tank on top.

Upcoming events before I scape it:

1) figure out water change reservoir
2) figure out water change method: pump/ vac/ python ... not sure - I have 65 gallons that I will need to vacuum out of and pump back into. Thinking submersible pump to pump in and maybe a long python to vac and pump out.

3) flood it and practice the wc method to make sure it works.
4) install canister filter + figure out flow (maybe will need powder heads/spray bar/skimmer/or just the head on the canister).

... then other stuff.

Last edited:
Well, decided to move the 65 gallon to the basement and rearranged the furniture - haha - although I had it against a load-bearing wall, I wasn’t keen on it being in the upstairs and potentially flattening the house after 10 years of dead weight.

This has lead to some new ideas - toying with a small sump (I could only go 5 gallons, and I do not think it would be worth it) underneath beside the co2 tank — just worrying about where to put the power bar.

Substrate: I’m thinking tropica powder soil, on top of drainage cells + just basic gravel/flourite in the bottom to hold up the hard scape and prevent anaerobic substrate — may go higher than 10cm for the substrate just because it’s a tall tank — if anyone has experience here, will my powder fall through the cracks?

Last edited:
Thinking submersible pump to pump in and maybe a long python to vac and pump out.
if already using a python system to drain, why not also refill :confused:
Just use Seachem Prime dosed for tank volume - add as begin refilling tank

will my powder fall through the cracks?
small particles will eventually work their way down into any crevices that allow particle size ;)

Place substrate “building blocks” in mesh bags (though stockings will do, they are quite fragile & can tear easily)
(JL Aquatics usually has some inexpensive media bags, also various laundry mesh bags (though some of these may be treated with fragrances etc))

Pedro Rosa’s The Forsaken World

I recommend pre-soaking the wood, then power washing to remove loose fibres
(guessing at relatively soft wood structure re photos)

That's a nice piece of wood and would look good in any sized tank :thumbup:

Gotta question about your method for keeping it down though cause I need to do the same with my pieces of wood.

1..... where did you get the piece of slate from?

2..... so will you drill holes through the slate and then screw the slate to the wood?

I wouldn't advise cement unless you know you can seal it very well as it will significantly alter tank water parameters e.g. pH

That's a nice piece of wood and would look good in any sized tank :thumbup:

Gotta question about your method for keeping it down though cause I need to do the same with my pieces of wood.

1..... where did you get the piece of slate from?

2..... so will you drill holes through the slate and then screw the slate to the wood?

Thanks!!!

1) I bought the slate from Lowes (Canadian)

2) I'll attach photos of when I do it, but for now I'll attach a couple from previous work. What I did previously was drill a hole through some old ceramic (food grade) tiles (which are just baked clay with a glaze) and screwed them into the wood with stainless steel screws (I did this with a screwdriver so I didn't splinter the wood). It worked, but it wasn't heavy enough on its own (I needed to additionally weigh down the piece with rocks (chunks of granite). The slate is much denser, so it should work much better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
Thanks!!!

1) I bought the slate from Lowes (Canadian)

2) I'll attach photos of when I do it, but for now I'll attach a couple from previous work. What I did previously was drill a hole through some old ceramic (food grade) tiles (which are just baked clay with a glaze) and screwed them into the wood with stainless steel screws (I did this with a screwdriver so I didn't splinter the wood). It worked, but it wasn't heavy enough on its own (I needed to additionally weigh down the piece with rocks (chunks of granite). The slate is much denser, so it should work much better.

Ah brilliant. Thanks. Suppose will have to go easy drilling through the slate so it doesnt crack.

Ah brilliant. Thanks. Suppose will have to go easy drilling through the slate so it doesnt crack.

Well, we have two times that it could crack:
1) when cutting the pieces to size
2) when drilling

The ceramic did not crack, but the glaze did. I attached a picture of the slate for rigour!

I’ll obviously document this whole journey in this thread ... right now I’m figuring out a crafty way for the inside of my stand (pictures attached).

I have to drill some holes for the canister filter/sump to have the tubes coming out of as the main one I think will be for probes and electrics. (I am waiting to buy the ph controller as well.

co2 tank (the paper) should go either left or right — not sure yet but I don’t want it to block my two controllers either because of its height (10 lbs). That means the side the electric is on needs to be the side for the filter.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
Alright, I’ve got a plan and it’s partially drilled!

This will allow for a sump or canister for all dimensions inside. Ran into a bit of an issue with the hole saw, I think old batteries - I am charging right now - if that doesn’t work, I’ll run around in a circle with the bit for a few hours ... or maybe just borrow a 20volt ;).

Attachments

• 1F60E824-7FD4-49C5-BEB0-79974C5404F5.jpeg
    1F60E824-7FD4-49C5-BEB0-79974C5404F5.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 113
  • A755CDC3-F580-4A53-8AE0-2236798050D3.jpeg
    A755CDC3-F580-4A53-8AE0-2236798050D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • 3CB3646B-37A7-4F7F-8385-8FA0D14CAE65.jpeg
    3CB3646B-37A7-4F7F-8385-8FA0D14CAE65.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 109
The battery worked! We’ve got the hole and the stand is built; I had an idea to add a lighting inside, so I’ll upload those photos.

I took one of those old kit lights for the switch and plug and spliced them to some old strip led’s I had —> the goal will be to double sided tape them to the top and then run them down the side.

Later today, when I finish I’ll post the entire stand with the controllers/power bars attached with the tank.

Next step is the water reservoir for water changes.

Attachments

• 1EAFABC8-5118-4E42-A3DE-4FD0E72D646F.jpeg
    1EAFABC8-5118-4E42-A3DE-4FD0E72D646F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 116
  • 261E56A9-BE68-4368-9044-2AD33F6FB112.jpeg
    261E56A9-BE68-4368-9044-2AD33F6FB112.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 130
  • 8222A191-E88A-442A-BC22-94A9B4B2E391.jpeg
    8222A191-E88A-442A-BC22-94A9B4B2E391.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 121
if already using a python system to drain, why not also refill :confused:
Just use Seachem Prime dosed for tank volume - add as begin refilling tank

I seem to have missed all of your posts @alto - I am so sorry.

Your mention of substrate in socks is a great idea for building blocks!!!! What should I put in them? Should I use fluorite as a base? Should I just use gravel? Should I just use something like a plastic box to let water be underneath?? I decided to go a different route rather than python.

Last edited:
small particles will eventually work their way down into any crevices that allow particle size ;)

Place substrate “building blocks” in mesh bags (though stockings will do, they are quite fragile & can tear easily)
(JL Aquatics usually has some inexpensive media bags, also various laundry mesh bags (though some of these may be treated with fragrances etc))

Pedro Rosa’s The Forsaken World

it seems like he also used some foam blocks?Great photos in there - thanks.

Back