• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Time for a big prune?

Fisher2007

Happy new year all!

Looking for some advice re pruning as I think my tank is ready for it's first big hair cut. It has been running now for just over 2 months and as you can see by the pics it has grown in a fair bit. So far other than the odd minor cut back here and there I've not done much so I'm not sure of the best way to go about it (this is my first high tech planted tank by the way). Should I just cut back all the stems in one go (Limnophila and ludwigia, left hand island, and rotala green and orange juice, right hand island, as you look at the tank) to say 5 inches tall then replant some of the tops from the cuttings or should I do it in phases (maybe cut back a plant at a time each week)? I suppose my biggest concern is that I prune too heavy and for a short time the tank falls out of balance because there is not enough new growth happening (whilst the stems recover) and maybe algae takes hold as a result

Cheers in advance
20191026_212316.jpg
20191229_193216.jpg

Last edited:
I would trim that quiet hard and replant the tops to give it more depth and plant mass the tops dont need to be in soil just squeeze them in to the existing plant mass

Cheers
J

Back