• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Separating tubifex and blackworms

jolt100

Hi all, does anyone have a method for separating a mixture of the two?
I have an old tank that I use for daphnia which also has both types of worms, its years since I bought any and not sure how they got in there:-S
I want to try cultivating the tubifex but not sure how to get them apart, or do I just throw them both in together and see which survive?
Cheers
John

Hi all,
Hi all, does anyone have a method for separating a mixture of the two?
I have an old tank that I use for daphnia which also has both types of worms, its years since I bought any and not sure how they got in there:-S
I want to try cultivating the tubifex but not sure how to get them apart, or do I just throw them both in together and see which survive?
Cheers
John
You can do it by the way they move.

If you annoy a Blackworm it will swim backwards in a helical manner, a bit like a cork-screw. A Tubifex will just wriggle.

Cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it one at a time ☺
I had put a mixture of worms and sediment in a container with an overflow but I think I'll start again with filtered worms and separate them as i go along.
I'll feedback my findings so anyone else in the same boat might benefit.
Cheers
John

Back