• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDS Meter Readings

84Reasons

So I'm a little confused I used a TDS meter on my tank water today, however I have no idea if a very high amount could affect plant growth or anything?

My tap water (which I use) comes out at 280ppm, however tank water is at 496ppm

Is this an issue?

Good question I look forward to seeing some answers. I suspect you may need to provide a bit more information about your tank though.

Well I think it measures the GH / hardness of the tank water, I'm not really bothered about that it increases when it's in my tank, I'm more trying to work out of that 496ppm is bad?

Hi all,
My tap water (which I use) comes out at 280ppm, however tank water is at 496ppm
The meter doesn't actually measure ppm Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), it measures electrical conductivity (in microS.) and then uses a conversion factor (normally 0.64) to estimate TDS.
Well I think it measures the GH / hardness of the tank water
All salts (as ions) contribute to the TDS, so that is any hardness the water has picked up from limestone rocks and any fertilisers you've added.
I'm more trying to work out of that 496ppm is bad?
I'd go the other way around. How do your plants and fish look? If <"they look well"> then it isn't an issue.

Have a look at the bit about <"conductivity datum ranges">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, The meter doesn't actually measure ppm Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), it measures electrical conductivity (in microS.) and then uses a conversion factor (normally 0.64) to estimate TDS. All salts (as ions) contribute to the TDS, so that is any hardness the water has picked up from limestone rocks and any fertilisers you've added.I'd go the other way around. How do your plants and fish look? If <"they look well"> then it isn't an issue.

Have a look at the bit about <"conductivity datum ranges">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for the info, that clears it up a lot.
My fish and plants are fine so maybe it isn't an issue, however I've had trouble growing a few species of plants in the tank - namely , rotala bonsai, rotala HRA, rotala green - and I was wondering if maybe the water being too hard has caused them to die? I have 2x 24w T5 bulbs and run co2 for my lighting period , whilst also dosing ferts and using tropica soil so I didn't think anything else was the issue?

Back