• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Rekord 70 Lowtech

Fred Dulley

My first tank, 6 years ago. It has gone through many different styles but at the moment I intend keeping it like this.

Image1-2.jpg

Image2-3.jpg

Image2-3.jpg

Tank: Juwel Rekord 70, 60x30x38cm. 70litres, 15UK gallons, 18US gallons.
Lighting: 15W t8 daylight (need to get reflector).
Filtration: Juwel internal (upgraded from 400lph to 600lph powerhead).
Substrate: Inert sand. A mixture of normal playsand and brown sand used in tortoise tanks.
CO2: 3ml EasyCarbo every other day.
Nutrients: TPN+ 3ml every other day.
Decor: Redmoor, Tropica wood.

Plants
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
cryptocoryne wendtii green (I think)
cryptocoryne undulata (I think)

Fish
2xHoplo Catfish

Aim for this is a low-maintenance, algae free tank that is slow growing but once mature should look ace :D
My own crit is that at the moment, the tank is too tall for this scape. If this was a Rekord 60 instead, it would look a lot better. Lets up the Java fern will grown up and fill out the gap.

No idea how much and when water changes need to be done....sparingly?

Looks great - I like have a bit of 'space' above the aquascape (ie the extra tank height). And more volume = more volume = always good.

Looks like the crypts are fairly new to that tank, or have been replanted. They'll look much more settled in a few months.

With that kind of set up I would change 25% of the water a week. I don't think I'll ever get into this current trend of not doing water changes on certain tanks - partly because my water is so hard it would be liquid concrete after a month or two :D .

Try and take lots of pics, and date them - with a slow growing tank it's easy to think nothing's changed, but it's great to look back and see how much things have grown. And post the pics on here!

Mark

I have this tank! :p

I like the simplicity of this. I'm sure it'll look a lot better when everything has grown more.

Are you planning to add any more fish?

vauxhallmark said:
Looks great

Try and take lots of pics, and date them - with a slow growing tank it's easy to think nothing's changed, but it's great to look back and see how much things have grown. And post the pics on here!

Mark

Thanks. Good idea, will do.

Thomas McMillan said:
I have this tank! :p

I like the simplicity of this. I'm sure it'll look a lot better when everything has grown more.

Are you planning to add any more fish?

Thanks Thomas.
I agree, once grown and matured a bit, it should look better.
Sadly no. September I will be starting Uni therefore not allowed to get any more fish because 3 tanks (this being one of them) are to be shut down just before I leave. Parents don't like the idea of me getting more fish for tanks that are going to be stripped down in several months time :(

Cheers guys.
Thanks for the link too.
Aaron, I hope the Crypts and Java fern (although mine is the regular sp.) look as good as yours did.

This should turn out looking nice, Fred. Plus you will have plenty of time for tinkering. :D

Have you considered a smaller, complimentary Crypt at the front ie. parva? This may give you a more clearly defined foreground.

Bolbitis heudolottii wouldn`t look out of place in there, either. Due to the nature of a tank like this, you could probably give all the slow growers a try at some point. It should develop a really nice, ancient look.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
This should turn out looking nice, Fred. Plus you will have plenty of time for tinkering. :D

Have you considered a smaller, complimentary Crypt at the front ie. parva? This may give you a more clearly defined foreground.

Bolbitis heudolottii wouldn`t look out of place in there, either. Due to the nature of a tank like this, you could probably give all the slow growers a try at some point. It should develop a really nice, ancient look.

Dave.

Hey Dave, thanks.
Good idea about the parva, could create a nice transition from front to back.
Ive got some Bolbitis downstairs.....might bring it up to this tank and see how it looks.
Ancient look sounds good, especially if its achieved through low maintenance :D
From now on I'll try borrow the Olympus E500 to take bi-weekly shots of the tank 8)

Back