• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing algae from silicone joints

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Anyone got any miracle tips for getting rid of algae along the silicone seams of an aquarium?
That is, aside from Cilit Bang, a toothbrush, and elbow grease; tried that already :meh:

49472505806_bf9685934d_b.jpg

With my 50l tank when I empty it I fill with water and still in a few litres of weak/cheap bleach and leave overnight. Then good scrub rinse leave 24hrs to dry out and ready to go with quick small rinse out

VWP Cleaner Steriliser. I used to use it for sterilising wine and beer making equipment. I does, however, work wonders on glassware covered in algae. Should be the same effect on your tank. Bleach may be cheaper!

Rubber gloves, bleach soak for an hour and then scrub with a denture brush.
By soak I mean, Take some Kitchen roll soak in bleach and lay it on the the areas and leave to soak

@Tim Harrison Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you manage to remove the algae? I'm faced with the same issue at the moment
Use a toilet roll soaked in bleach and leave overnight, that could work!

Back