• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keetchy's rescaped, 1st Iwagumi tank (Page 7)

I think they will mate from what I've read in the past and would they also pull up the fine rooted mc I'm not sure would probably put it out there and ask the experts just wouldnt want to see all your hard work go to waste mate

J

Yeah I see what your saying J. I have a yellow phantom already but that can stay in the holding tank with the 2 angels until I decide whether to put him in there or not :thumbup:

All good things mate. Bet the Amanos are loving their 5 star hotel. The alternanthera has buds at it's internodes, best wait to see how they grow. Give it time and care and you won't be disappointed. Keep up the good work dude!

All good things mate. Bet the Amanos are loving their 5 star hotel. The alternanthera has buds at it's internodes, best wait to see how they grow. Give it time and care and you won't be disappointed. Keep up the good work dude!
Thanks dude. I think I'm gonna give the Alternathera 4 or 5 more weeks to impress me. If no progress in that time then I will swap them for something else. Only time will tell :D

Big mistake. Just spent the last 4 hours fitting and budging a Sera 1000 reactor. Bloody thing wouldn't stop leaking. And it makes a right racket where the water hits the blades.

So I can either put my JBL inline diffuser back in, or buy a bazooka in tank diffuser. Either way I will get bubbles in the tank.

Which would you guys suggest doing?

20200208_123816.jpg

20200208_173420.jpg

Ok after a bit of reading I'm gonna give the reactor a go still. I haven't plumbed it in with enough slack in the pipes to tip it upside down. Next week I will re-plumb it in with excess hosing to tip it upside down to release the trapped air. Then see if the noise has quietened down.

Well I might have been up at 01:30 this morning doing it but its installed properly now. No more leaks and no more irritating water sloshing sounds. I'm really happy with this reactor now that its quiet. Lol

Yeah I'm still not 100% happy with this bud. You got a link to a step by step how to make a DIY one?
Not sure if I’m allowed to link other forums here but here is the template I used to make mine with a slight modification : https://barrreport.com/threads/dual-venturi-diy-external-co2-reactor.3413/

Check out my thread to see my reactor. For the bottom part I used a 90 degree elbow instead to sit better in the sump. I assume it’ll be just as beneficial in a cabinet.
Mind you, the recommended flow through the reactor is around 300gph, slow enough to allow proper co2 dissolution . Your canister looks big (GPH?)and might be too much for this size reactor so depending on the flow you might want to up the reactor size and fittings to match.
Let’s say as an example if your canister puts out real life numbers around 800gph, double the size of the reactor to 2ft instead of the 1 ft or slow down flow via the canister valves.
It’s a matter of flow and also the space available in the cabinet but it’s in my opinion one of if not the best co2 infusion method .

The drip irrigation valve on the Venturi is a must to remove gas build up and you can find them at your local hardware store. 1/4” valves work perfectly with the 3/8” co2 lines.

Not sure if I’m allowed to link other forums here but here is the template I used to make mine with a slight modification : https://barrreport.com/threads/dual-venturi-diy-external-co2-reactor.3413/

Check out my thread to see my reactor. For the bottom part I used a 90 degree elbow instead to sit better in the sump. I assume it’ll be just as beneficial in a cabinet.
Mind you, the recommended flow through the reactor is around 300gph, slow enough to allow proper co2 dissolution . Your canister looks big (GPH?)and might be too much for this size reactor so depending on the flow you might want to up the reactor size and fittings to match.
Let’s say as an example if your canister puts out real life numbers around 800gph, double the size of the reactor to 2ft instead of the 1 ft or slow down flow via the canister valves.
It’s a matter of flow and also the space available in the cabinet but it’s in my opinion one of if not the best co2 infusion method .

The drip irrigation valve on the Venturi is a must to remove gas build up and you can find them at your local hardware store. 1/4” valves work perfectly with the 3/8” co2 lines.

Awesome bud. Thanks. The canister filter has an output flow of 2300 litres per hour. So i dont know what that is in gallons

You can try removing the blades from your reactor, it will be much quieter and have more flow.
The main problem is they are simply to small to be effective on anything other than small tanks.

There is a design in my signature link that might inspire you, there is a video of it working too.
However for bigger tanks you will have more success with bigger vessels,
There seems to be a huge hole in the market waiting to be filled with a larger reactor designed for larger tanks.

You can try removing the blades from your reactor, it will be much quieter and have more flow.
The main problem is they are simply to small to be effective on anything other than small tanks.

There is a design in my signature link that might inspire you, there is a video of it working too.
However for bigger tanks you will have more success with bigger vessels,
There seems to be a huge hole in the market waiting to be filled with a larger reactor designed for larger tanks.

When I was trying to bodge it with PTFE tape around thr shaft, I put too much on which then stopped the blades from moving. This eliminated the noise completely which made me realise it's the blades that are making the noise. Only problem with the blades not working as I then started to get microbubbles in the tank. I suppose eliminating the blades basically turns the reactor into an inline diffuser. Lol.

I will check out the link in your signature anyway and will also try tieing the blades together so they will still move to churn up the C02 but will not clatter against each other.

My tank is only 350 litres bone dry and apparently the Sera 1000 is good for tanks up to 600 litres o_O

It is about dwell time, ie the amount of time the bubbles spend in suspension in the water, the longer the bubbles are kept moving inside the vessel the more likely the gas will completely dissolve.
There are other methods like using pressure ie ... you can develop a single large bubble of gas and allow water pressure to absorb the gas.
Simply passing the gas down a long tube will work and a 1.2 mt hight reactor would be great!!
If your reactor was three time the size without the blades it would possibly be what lots of people have been waiting for!

It is about dwell time, ie the amount of time the bubbles spend in suspension in the water, the longer the bubbles are kept moving inside the vessel the more likely the gas will completely dissolve.
There are other methods like using pressure ie ... you can develop a single large bubble of gas and allow water pressure to absorb the gas.
Simply passing the gas down a long tube will work and a 1.2 mt hight reactor would be great!!
If your reactor was three time the size without the blades it would possibly be what lots of people have been waiting for!

Ok I get ya. So I could always make a DIY tube without any blades or balls inside, but just make it a very long tube. Definitely worth the thought. Thanks bud

Back