• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter with bulkheads underneath the tank?

Where should I place my inflow and outflow?

• In the base with bulkheads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the back half way down below the water line

• Cut a hole into the side of the tank to use lily pipes and a glass inflow

• Total voters

Onoma1

I have 24 hours or so to decide on either drilling a space into the side of the tank to be able to insert a glass lily pip and inflow, drilling into the base of the tank with two bulkeheads or at the back (midpoint) with two bulkheads.

The tank will only be 50% full, therefore, using the normal approach of hangover lillypipes and inflow will be impossible without cutting a hole into the tank just above the waterline. Cutting a hole would be the safest bet allowing me use a method I am comfortable with. It will, however, look quite messy.

I have seen a few posts to Tom Barr's use of bulkheads on the base with an external filter with something similar being used by Green Aqua on their 365 degree square tanks. This seems a cleaner solution, however, am worried about the possibility of a leak (160 lts of water can make significant mess).

Alternatively, I thought of using a bulkheads at the back say 10 cm below the water line. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Any advice?

This is done in saltwater all the time.

Make sure you get the proper glass bit hole saw and it is easy. I have drilled a couple hundred tanks for club members they the years.

This is done in saltwater all the time.

Make sure you get the proper glass bit hole saw and it is easy. I have drilled a couple hundred tanks for club members they the years.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am having the tank built and drilled for me (just to avoid me slipping and cracking the glass). My question is more should I and if I should were should the holes be cut? I am not going down the sump route and just want to use an external filter.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am having the tank built and drilled for me (just to avoid me slipping and cracking the glass). My question is more should I and if I should were should the holes be cut? I am not going down the sump route and just want to use an external filter.

I would just do a sump and a overflow no need for a canister really sump would be useful.

Back