• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I throw out my wood after a while?

Jonatk

I maybe answering my own question here, but... I am getting a lot of fine particles in my tank now, which I think is coming from a large piece of wood which I have had in the tank now two years. Is it now time to throw it out? I have also noticed that my nitrate has increased to 40ppm, from 20ppm, before the weekly 50% water change, and the ph has gone down to 6.6 from 7.2

Hi all,
Is it now time to throw it out?
Only if it has gone really soft? Can you take it out of the tank? If you can I'd just scrape any soft bits of wood away and it should be fine to go back in.
I have also noticed that my nitrate has increased to 40ppm, from 20ppm, before the weekly 50% water change, and the ph has gone down to 6.6 from 7.2
It is unlikely to be anything to do with the wood. Wood itself is 99% structural carbon and <"has very little nitrogen present"> which could decay and raise NO3 levels.

If you had more ammonia in the tank for another reason? (different fish, more fish, different (more protein rich) food, dead fish) That would lead to increased NO3 levels (<"and lower pH">), assuming that there was <"enough oxygen present for nitrification to occur">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel.
I'll take the wood out and give it a scrub to see how much wood is coming off, then decide from there, whether it stays or goes.

f you had more ammonia in the tank for another reason? (different fish, more fish, different (more protein rich) food, dead fish) That would lead to increased NO3 levels (<"and lower pH">), assuming that there was <"enough oxygen present for nitrification to occur">.

The only other thing thats changed recently is swapping an end mounted spray bar for a duck billed oulet. Its defintely giving me a stronger flow through the tank. But whether this is better for the filter or plants I'm not sure

Hi all,
The only other thing thats changed recently is swapping an end mounted spray bar for a duck billed oulet. Its defintely giving me a stronger flow through the tank. But whether this is better for the filter or plants I'm not sure
Not sure, more flow would probably give you more oxygenation, but that would only lead to an increase in NO3- if nitrification was compromised by lack of oxygen in the first place, which is unlikely in a planted tank.

cheers Darrel

Back