• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone recommend a waterproof grommet/cable gland?

Wookii

I'm looking to mod a filter housing in order pass a cable through either the lid or wall - for example to add a heater or sensor inside the housing - but I need to it be non-permanent such that it can be undone and the cable removed if required.

I therefore need some sort of rubber grommet or cable gland that can be fitted to a hole in the canister lid or body, but will seal water tight around the cable to prevent leakage.

I'm looking at these but I'm not 100% confident they're really appropriate:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WVKDZ64/ref=psdc_1938268031_t3_B007Q846A4

Has anyone successfully used anything during their own modifications?

Yes i did use them to fit a Ph probe inline. I had one from the brand Hummel, it worked a charm. It looks fairly the same as what you link too.

What i would be more worried about is the surface you want it to fit to. As you say cannister? Is it round or square and flat?
If it is a bend round surface, it could cause trouble to get this watertight at the cannister, since the flench/nut and seal in between are designed for flat surfaces.

Yes i did use them to fit a Ph probe inline. I had one from the brand Hummel, it worked a charm. It looks fairly the same as what you link too.

What i would be more worried about is the surface you want it to fit to. As you say cannister? Is it round or square and flat?
If it is a bend round surface, it could cause trouble to get this watertight at the cannister, since the flench/nut and seal in between are designed for flat surfaces.

Thanks Zozo - yes, I’d put it into a flat surface possibly the lid. I’m not sure yet, the canister (it’s a pre-filter one - though I’ll be using it post filter) hasn’t arrived so I’ll know more when it does.

What type of cable is it? Ideally it needs to be round and a good tight fit in the rubber seal.

I’m not sure yet, what I might try and put in it, but yes, I’m probably only try it with a round cable. I’m just seeing what I’d need to attempt it at this point and what has worked for other people without leaking.

you should find any gland that says its IP68 and the correct size for what you need will do the job. I did a similar thing making a DIY inline heater

Back