• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Hermetosphere

Mystery solved! The small plant that looks like a small Hydrocotyl is a Utricularia pubescens.
sany0313.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utricularia_pubescens

Hi all,
Does anybody have an idea what tiny plant sp. this might be? Darrel - @dw1305 maybe? My best guess is Hydrocotyl maybe, but i never knew there was such a small one around.
I think it might be another species of Utricularia, <"Utricularia pubescens">, which is tiny and has peltate leaves, and that would be my guess.

utriculariapubescens310808.jpg

Typical, just seen @zozo's reply and I think he is right.
The other one i yet never seen is the <Barbosella australis "4N Leaf">.
New one for me too.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Not sure how but I seem to have missed a load of updates :confused:
Great to see it planted, and looking forward to watching it grow in :)
And how did you manage to add the vent and make it look as though it'd been manufactured that way from the start?

Not sure how but I seem to have missed a load of updates :confused:

I also often miss updates/notifications on active threads. I guess the UKAPS server and forum software is running overtime and can't always keep up with the demand. :)

And how did you manage to add the vent and make it look as though it'd been manufactured that way from the start?

I've used some alternatives the vent sprout is actually a threaded rod <M10x1 brass coupler> internal thread. Then i drilled a 10mm hole in the shade holder, at first i wanted to solder it, but then i took a 2cm long M10x1 threaded rod standard used in lamp fittings and a nut and screwed it in the hole. Since the M10x1 rod is hollow it reduces the 10mm hole to 6mm instead. For now, i leave it like that might solder it in the future for more vent. The coupler is 12mm outside diameter, thus i took a 12mm brass capillary cap we use to cap off 12mm copper water pipe. Drilled a hole in it and taped M5 thread in the cap. Then i took a <brass knee M5 from the pneumatic industry>, screwed this to the cap and plugged this again with a M5 brass screw. That's all to it. :)

And yes thank you.. It indeed looks pretty original.. :cool:

dsc_0321-jpg.jpg

The idea of soldering the vent is to fully open the hole to 10mm, then i can use it not only as a vent but also for watering, with a 20ml syringe and a long enough 4x6mm tube to it. And then able to water it without taking the glass globe off. :pompus: But first i try to find a smaller tube at 4mm outside diameter.

Last edited:
I've used some alternatives the vent sprout is actually a threaded rod <M10x1 brass coupler> internal thread. Then i drilled a 10mm hole in the shade holder, at first i wanted to solder it, but then i took a 2cm long M10x1 threaded rod standard used in lamp fittings and a nut and screwed it in the hole. Since the M10x1 rod is hollow it reduces the 10mm hole to 6mm instead. For now, i leave it like that might solder it in the future for more vent. The coupler is 12mm outside diameter, thus i took a 12mm brass capillary cap we use to cap off 12mm copper water pipe. Drilled a hole in it and taped M5 thread in the cap. Then i took a <brass knee M5 from the pneumatic industry>, screwed this to the cap and plugged this again with a M5 brass screw. That's all to it. :)
Genius...
The idea of soldering the vent is to fully open the hole to 10mm, then i can use it not only as a vent but also for watering
Genius...er :D

Thank you Tim!..
Genius...

Genius...er :D

Thank you Tim!... :) For me Google gets the credit, i guess without it i would have never found the inspiration nor one single part this project is made of.

Except for the Orchid, i feel like all plants are in so far. :)
DSC_0391.jpg

Some small Java ferns at the base of the wood, with some Crypt parva. And a Ficus pumila ready to climb the wood when growing in. The Orchid will be planted on the wood, there is a small hollow plateau for it.
DSC_0394.JPG

A Crypt. wendtii brown and an Crypt indonessii in the back.
DSC_0395.jpg

And Utricularia pubescens already flowering. :)
DSC_0396.jpg

Still have some free unplanted space in the front and i kinda feel like leaving it like that and just let it grow in naturally. Might cover the soil with some small bark chips for contrast and structure.

Hi @zozo

I keep a few airplants (Tillandsia). Your creations make me think that airplants would be a good candidate for this environment.

Thanks!

JPC

Hi @zozo

I keep a few airplants (Tillandsia). Your creations make me think that airplants would be a good candidate for this environment.

Thanks!

JPC

Could be... :) But then you need the Jungle Tillandsia, for a prairie/desert Tillandsia it might be too high air humidity and it will rot. Or you need to entirely scape it up for that with other prairie plants like some cactus sp.

The most obvious difference to keep both types of Tillandsias apart, the desert type has a powdery leaf surface, with this it catches drops of dew in the early morning to keep moisturized. The jungle type has a smooth leaf and needs more air humidity. :)

The regular available Tillandsias in the Garden Centres offered as air plant are the desert types.

Small update on its development, it's actually doing quite well despite some plants have a hard time to addapt.

As for example the Drosera went brown, but there still is a young shoot next to it seemingly still trying to addapt.
IMG_20200414_085529390_HDR (Large).jpg

It's difficult to take super clear pictures since the condensation on the inside glass makes it hard to focus on what is inside.

Anyway, the Java Fern at the left of the wood grew pretty fast it quadrupled in size in a few weeks' time. Never have seen a Microsorum grew that fast.
IMG_20200414_085544529_HDR (Large).jpg

Some other interesting things going on, after a few weeks i noticed some tiny brown dots on the glass that were not there before. At first, i thought i have some bugs in it and probably they are eggs or poop. But after a while it seems something is spreading and throwing seeds around. They are smaller than a millimeter in size.
IMG_20200414_085704380 (Large).jpg

And there is quite a lot of new tiny plantlets growing. I have no clue what it might be.
IMG_20200414_085715586 (Large).jpg

The only plants in it that are flowering is the Utricularia pubescens
IMG_20200414_085747518_HDR (Large).jpg

And the Biophytum... But for now, I'm at a loss and no idea what it is and how the seeds ended up on the glass up to 10cm from the soil. Or how it ended up in the globe, after all, I have used Orchid peat soil with bark chips and Carnivor soil from the shop. It could be the seeds were already in the soil from the start.
IMG_20200414_085841034 (Large).jpg

Also, see some rather interesting new moss growth.. :) It's a kind of leaf moss that grows rather long stalks and one stalk is growing a spore cap from the top.
IMG_20200414_085914975 (Large).jpg

It's an interesting project and i definitively need to clean the glass again inside and then quickly take some more better quality pictures before it develops condensation again. :)
:thumbup:

Found confirmation at a Dartfrog forum and it indeed is the Biophytum sensitivum throwing its seeds around... :clap::thumbup:

DSC_0506.JPG

I left the entire front empty from plants and now it has a carpet of Biophytum baby plants... :cool:

DSC_0508.JPG

The biggest one growing next to a moss piece already showing resemblance in growing form.
DSC_0511.JPG

Also, some rather interesting leaf mosses are appearing... At least i think so, i've seen a few liverworts having similar growth form.
DSC_0510.JPG

DSC_0509.JPG

Sorry for the tad foggy pics, still figuring out to take clear pictures through foggy glass. Still can't figure out why my eyes see it clearer than the camera lens. :rolleyes:

DSC_0507.JPG

A friend of mine is a High school Chemistry teacher and he gave me something to play with...
Unfortunately only to play with now I'm done he wants it back... :( :p

DSC_0565.JPG

Glass is not perfectly clear for Photoshoots, it's more a real-time show piece..

Bulbophylum Orchid.
DSC_0567.JPG

But under the lid, some better details... :cool:

DSC_0568.JPG

Among others,

Barbosella Orchid.
DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

Pyriossia tree fern
DSC_0571.JPG

Baby Biophytum
DSC_0573.JPG

Anubias...
DSC_0575.JPG

I'm afraid I will not see this grow in, in my own home... :mad: Sometimes it hurts to make people happy... :arghh: I wanna keep it...

:thumbup:

Not afraid that the branches will start growing on its own?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

That's what I told him too since it is a freshly cut hazelnut branch, I have no idea how that will work out... But he wanted it in there anyway... Nice experiment again... :)

New Hermetosphere in the making... :cool: Emptied an old burnd out light bulb 100mm diameter it's nice for mosses... And finally found a purpose for an old heatsink collecting dust till now to use as a stand... Added some rubber feet from an old aquarium pump to the standoffs and cushion and not scratch the glass... It actually stands pretty firm...

Not done yet, this is the crude concept all from spares I had lei around doing nothing...
IMG_20201230_191532168.jpg

Edison style? It's all screwed up :p, so if i ever find something odd that fits I might build and add some light to it later...

Back