• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1600 Gallon 5 meters long planted behemoth

Well, we are going to do a book on the tank and publish it. I am going to scape the tank again for a photo shoot and we will also do a video.

I am going to do Manzanita for the 450 Gal tank at the office, they make it out of glass and broke it 2x moving it :oops:
So it's coming the following week.

We have played around with lighting and LED's, the light is very interesting as it makes the front panel transparent, you think you can grab the fish, it's angled back at 30 degrees from the front. Interesting effect.

We will take a number of shots with different light set ups.

Should be fun.

Regards,
Tom Barr

That'll be one to watch out for!!

Tank looks incredible...superb planting

BUT

Im going to be the first to say that those Discus look hiddeous and totally ruin the natural look of the tank. Even my wife just walked past the computer and said the fish looked fake.

Just my humble opinion :rolleyes:

Andy

Your opinion and my own are well shared. They are garrish at best ;)
But that's what this guy wanted. I prefer a massive school or cardinals, or Rummy's, a mix of Pencils, apistos, rare Plecos, Hatchets etc.

That also makes the tank look that much larger, and you watch these massive schools ball and expand through the tank.
But this is not my nickel and he pays me, not the other way around.
They get what they want, not what I want(which is the $).

He asked for contrast for their color, cool darker thick plants, that sets them off about as much as you can.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Yes, but it got changed a lot.
Barrsbehemoth.jpg

tom_in_tank_85resized.jpg

resized1600day1.jpg

You can see it is a whopper of a tank here.
We added some more wood on the back wall and wedged some more in here and there.

I know exactly how to secure wood for large displays or small ones now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

How long did it take you from start to finish to plant this up, Tom? It must've taken days! Also, how do you maintain a tank this size (e.g. perform maintenance, especially nearer the substrate)?

I wish the owner had let you decide on the fish, Tom. For me it would have been based around wild caught Discus and/or Altums.

Did the owner have a great deal of say on plant choice, or is it largely your scape, Tom?

Dave.

Well, I spoke with the owner, we are going to make a book about the tank instead of an article.
So that's better.

I think the wild species would look better, but..........not my tank or me paying for it:)

I'm going to do another wood tank for this same client's office, a 450 Gal starfire glass tank.

See the CA plant's thread for the wood, that's about 1.5 meter long piece of wood in that thread.
Bigger than it looks.

Don't worry Fred and George, Karma is a good thing. ;)

regards,
Tom Barr

Cant remember rightly but wasnt this tank built in the Maxim magazine 21st century bachelor house or something?

Jay, yes, it was in Esquire.........360 degree home.

The guy is no bachelor, happily married with 3 kids for the last 20 years.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back