• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Woodland Troll - Take Four

Looking really good Tim. Where many have seen spiders, trolls and other different shapes, to me it's a Lobster sitting back and defending itself with its claws.

Looking really good Tim. Where many have seen spiders, trolls and other different shapes, to me it's a Lobster sitting back and defending itself with its claws.
Thanks Barry :)
Bacterial bloom from the wood maybe?

you’ll have lovely white fluffy mould stuff for the next couple of weeks! :)
I think you're right about that Steve, it started to cloud up again earlier after the water change, but I'm sure it's starting to clear on its own :confused:
Tim, tank is looking good as always with your scapes!
Thanks DeepMetropolis :)
Hate that stuff, true moss killer
Crikey, I hope not :eek:

Last edited:
Very nice scape!... Something completely different from what we used to see from you.

In my first High tech i also planted a Buce that close to the surface. It grew like a champion with a massive root structure attaching to the wood. That looked awesome. One point of concern, it also was a BBA magnet at that spot. Assumingly even tho it grew very fast for a buce it still was relatively a tad to much light. It even flowered 1 time for me.
dscf8029-jpg.jpg

I have a picture somewhere of the massive root structure it grew down to the wood. But i can't seem to find it back. But in time you will see it yourself anyway.

Looks fantastic!
Thanks @Paul27, @Mark Keetch :)
Very nice scape!... Something completely different from what we used to see from you.

In my first High tech i also planted a Buce that close to the surface. It grew like a champion with a massive root structure attaching to the wood. That looked awesome. One point of concern, it also was a BBA magnet at that spot. Assumingly even tho it grew very fast for a buce it still was relatively a tad to much light. It even flowered 1 time for me.
dscf8029-jpg.jpg

I have a picture somewhere of the massive root structure it grew down to the wood. But i can't seem to find it back. But in time you will see it yourself anyway.
Thanks Marcel, that's good to know I'll definitely give it a go.

But first I'm going to have to reset the scape yet again...the wood came loose this morning :arghh:
I've changed the water and I'm going to leave it till next week; I've had enough for now :meh:

Anyone got any ideas how best to secure the wood ?

Bugger...!
49583581712_9eb224f94c_k.jpg

That’s a shame. I’d scrape off all that silicone and use toilet paper wrapped just like a cigarette filter and liquid super glue in multiple spots. Finish off with glue and soil to hide any paper.
A German aquascaper used that and said it worked even better than the cigarette filter trick.

If you're going to leave it til next week then i wouldn't do anything, let the wood soak and naturally sink?

I stuck my manzanita together using super glue and tobacco filters and sprinkled soil on it to hide any visable bits, it's holding fairly well so far but some bits are starting to come a little loose so i didn't do as well as i thought i had :lol:

That's indeed a bummer... :( Till now i was always lucky with only super glueing the wood to the rocks. I did not try yet, but i guess as alternative dried sphagnum would work the same as a cigarette filter to fill up any gaps. Since it is very absorbent and will soak up the glue then it hardens. Thought of it, because it is a natural product with a brown colour and also since the cigarette filter is considered worlds No 1 plastic pollution suspect. :)

I had the same issue Tim, with silicone not staying stuck to the wood once it the water started to soak into it. As the other guys have said, the cigarette filters and liquid superglue worked a treat for me. It's a bit messy though - and make sure you've got plenty of ground up soil ready to cover it while its wet, as the white glue looks a bit nasty if it's visible underwater.

I've used cigarette filters and liquid super glue for my wood but it's also zip tied down just used the glue to stick branches together to hold it when doing maintenance I think you need some thing stronger Tim

I can't remember the name, but what about the Spray Foam that Tanner uses over on serpadesign. Holds well and dries slowly so that you can push and mold it to shape. And you can cover it easy with Gravel and Sand etc.

Finally got around to resetting the scape...again. Some of the plants are looking a bit worse for the ordeal, but It's now up and running with a few minor tweaks :)
49618620456_cb99ad1853_k.jpg

Slime covered wood :sick:
49618103733_c61efc8438_k.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions, I used cigarette filters and superglue to secure the rocks and wood. Seems to have worked...so far :confused:
49618620206_62b36e68a7_k.jpg

Excellent recovery :cool:

Filipe Oliveira also crushes some soil to powder and sprinkles that in (after the cigarette filters), then soaks it with the (very thin) liquid superglue

(this technique is clearly shown in his Green Aqua hardscaping video from last year)
Thanks alto, I've seen him do it up close and personal like, in a similar workshop at AG, and I've done that too to but mainly to hide the cigarette filters :)

Back