• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feeding Bee Pollen to Shrimp

BarryH

I read on a Facebook page that one of the foods that shrimp like is Bee Pollen. Does anyone on here feed it to their shrimp and if they do, can I ask for a link where I can buy?

All I can seem to find is Bee Pollen in health food shops, the kind for sprinkling on your cornflakes.

I feed bee pollen and buy it from the health food sellers on ebay. Just a pinch once a week. It smells lovely and fish like it aswell. It dissolves slowly and the shrimp graze on it.
They may not graze on it 1st time, but they will eventually.

I also feed chlorela tabs aswell.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Also have a look at ebay seller - robin solitude
He sells bee pollen for shrimps,as well as botanicals etc

Are there any health benefits for the fish/shrimp?
Health benefits no one seems to mention but all the videos I've watched on YT show the shrimp really going for the bee pollen. Quite a good video on Mark's Shrimp Tanks.

In their natural habitat, why would shrimps eat bee pollen? I wouldn't have thought there would be much bee pollen in an aquatic environment! o_O

I've never used bee pollen but shrimp do love stinging nettle flowers (and the top few leaves, especially if gently blanched first). The plus to them is they are free, abundant and can be dried for winter feeding.

I've never used bee pollen but shrimp do love stinging nettle flowers (and the top few leaves, especially if gently blanched first). The plus to them is they are free, abundant and can be dried for winter feeding.
Funny you should mention nettles, I've just been watching a video about that. I'm all for getting natural food especially if it's free and good for the shrimp.

Not sure how to blanch the leaves but it says Google to add a pinch of salt but I would guess that's not a good thing for the shrimp?

Last edited:
Funny you should mention nettles, I've just been watching a video about that. I'm all for getting natural food especially if it's free and good for the shrimp.

Not sure how to blanch the leaves but it says Google to add a pinch of salt but I would guess that's not a good thing for the shrimp?

To blanch you just put the leaves in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. There isn't any need to add anything to the water and you don't really need to blanch them its just by doing so you make them more easy to consume for the shrimp. Fresh unblanched leaves will be eaten but sometimes the shrimp can ignore them for a few days until they naturally soften up (which is all blanching does).
I've fed blanched and unblanched and the shrimp went straight for the blanched. I find rolling them up in you fingers and gently squeezing some of the water out makes them sink best.

You can do exactly the same with dandelion leaves.

To blanch you just put the leaves in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. There isn't any need to add anything to the water and you don't really need to blanch them its just by doing so you make them more easy to consume for the shrimp. Fresh unblanched leaves will be eaten but sometimes the shrimp can ignore them for a few days until they naturally soften up (which is all blanching does).
I've fed blanched and unblanched and the shrimp went straight for the blanched. I find rolling them up in you fingers and gently squeezing some of the water out makes them sink best.

You can do exactly the same with dandelion leaves.
Brilliant, thanks for all the help. Really appreciated.

Back