• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Woodland Troll - Take Four

Slime covered wood :sick:
49618103733_c61efc8438_k.jpg

Eww man - that slime covered wood makes me think of something different than a Woodland Troll:

c7UoSgm0eeGxLX_tUDGtEM4u6uLEcQ2I7XjIl618UYFHbuJHUkH2EWqXJqFXGEMaTV8O-URaQxJI3xRkEdOuejxW_v5Q7oVViaynTDt7b12y6KYPTheltPkVf1Igkok

Nice start Tim but That’s very low plant mass, how do you manage algae? Low intensity on the twinstar?

all this mess with cig filters and silicon reminds me of the awful start of my current scape...ain’t gonna do the same mistake; my new wood is currently sitting in a big bucket full of water ...won’t use it as long as it doesn’t sink :D

Haha, I know either way pretty disgusting...:sick:

Thanks Marcel :)
Just noticed you've given me a staring role :cool:
Nice start Tim but That’s very low plant mass, how do you manage algae? Low intensity on the twinstar?
Thanks CooKies, the plant mass is very low atm, there are a load of plants hiding behind the hardscape but they are mostly very immature stems grown in vitro, and some Crypts which are busy melting. So I'm doing as near as damn it 100% water changes every day, the Twinstar is on at 60% for 8hrs (should reduce it to 6hrs but I can't be bothered; I'll see hw it goes), and for what it's worth have the Twinstar Nano on as well, and I'm dosing LC every day.

all this mess with cig filters and silicon reminds me of the awful start of my current scape...ain’t gonna do the same mistake; my new wood is currently sitting in a big bucket full of water ...won’t use it as long as it doesn’t sink :D
I know, I've mostly managed to get away with it in the past, but I think I'll be soaking the wood from now on as well, if only to get it past the slime stage :D

Yeah soaking needs you to be patient but that helps to avoid lots of problems (tannins, slime, floating wood, détritus coming from the wood...).

Cig filters and silicone works great at an live event or contest hence why it’s so popular.

Damn it, the Myriophyllum 'Guyana' has melted and died by the looks of things...:meh:
I'll have to pick some more up next time I visit AG.
On the plus side the Rotala 'H' ra' seems to be doing okay :)

IMG_3530.jpeg

My wood got covered in slime too when I added it - it took longer than your though, about 3-4 weeks - but the shrimp and Otos seemed chew through it in no time once I added them to the tank. There was just one small patch that none of them would touch, that I had to manually remove.

Discovered that M.guyana is very sensitive to fungus , better wait for the tank to mature and then plant it again. ;)
Sorry Tim don’t mean to thread jack, but it’s funny you mention that cookies.

My mermaid weed was growing literally like a weed when I planted it and then all of a sudden the lower leaves were melting and the plant was looking like hell. The plant was close to the wood where a good amount of the fungus was growing and it appeared to have taken over the lower half of the plant. Either that, or diatoms.

Just to add to this soaking the wood will not prevent the fungus either it will stop it floating yes but the wood in my new scape has been soaking for 6 month in rain water that constantly over flows and when I came to use it i scrubed it clean bleached then boiled it for 30 mins and I still have the white fungus that has melted leaves on Anubias and some hygrophila pinnatifida

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the tips guys @Wookii and @Jayefc1 it's very much appreciated. And good to know @CooKieS and @Mr.Shenanagins about M. Guyana and it's sensitivity to fungus. I'll take your advice and wait till the tank stabilises before trying again.

My dwarf hairgrass is all but brown as well :meh: I think the fungus from the wood has pretty much done for quite a few of the plants one way or another. I think the next move is to get a clean up crew in there, especially since the slime is making a comeback. But my drop checker indicator fluid has somehow become contaminated and doesn't work any more, so I'm waiting on a new bottle so I can dial the CO2 in first.

Just to add to this soaking the wood will not prevent the fungus either it will stop it floating yes but the wood in my new scape has been soaking for 6 month in rain water that constantly over flows and when I came to use it i scrubed it clean bleached then boiled it for 30 mins and I still have the white fungus that has melted leaves on Anubias and some hygrophila pinnatifida

Cheers
Jay

Snails are very effective fungus eaters and aren’t sensitive to nitrites so can be added at day 1 but I know @Tim Harrison hate them.

Snails are very effective fungus eaters and aren’t sensitive to nitrites so can be added at day 1 but I know @Tim Harrison hate them.
With a passion boardering on the pathological :p
Snails, and Myriapods....:sick:

Yes sure Jay, I'm an ecologist by training, we tend to lump them in to the category of decomposers (or perhaps more accurately detritivores) along with slugs, worms, fungi, bacteria, etc same difference as the moniker bestowed on them by the planted tank world, "clean up crew", I guess. There's just something about them that seriously turns my stomach :sour:

Back