• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Rams and a carpeted tank

zed

I have the front of my tank carpeted with HC Cuba, Liliopsis Brasiliensis in the midground, and Ludwigia repens at the rear. Will this be okay for rams, or do they prefer to rummage around in gravel?

Thanks!

They should be alright - unlike most dwarf ciclids (eg Apistogramma) they don't use a cave to lay eggs in - so they don't need to shift gravel around to make the cave entrance the right size. They do like a nice flat stone in a sheltered area of the tank to lay their eggs on though - and if they have fry it would be worth clearing at least some of the gravel, or providing other stones, as they sometimes like to move them around a few times before they're free swimming.

They will take an interest in the bottom of the tank, and will eat from the bottom too, might help get bits of food out from between the plants (though small shrimp and dwarf corys are even better at this).

Good luck with them - I've never been succesful with breeding them :( despite having bred lots of other dwarf cichlids (but all cave breeders). Hoping my nijsenni will breed next, they seem to get on well, but she hasn't shown any interest in the cave yet :twisted: .

Take your time finding a good source too, there's a lot of *$@^ rams around. 'German' used to be a reliable indicator of quality, but I think most shops just call 'Rams' 'German Rams' as a matter of course now - so much for trades descriptions!!

Best,

Mark

Thanks for the detailed info Mark. I fancy some shrimp and corries too!

Are there any recommended suppliers of dwarf rams?

Thanks again.

Back