• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed plumbing

Onoma1

Does anyone know how to connect a 16/22 soft pipe to a bulkhead?

My plan for a custom paludarium seems to have failed miserably as the supplier of glass has closed because of the virus.

The tank can still be built, however, the only option seems to be to cut holes in the back or side of the paludarium for the piping to the canister filter.

I realise a sump would be more sensible but atm have the external canister and don't have the skill of resource to build a sump.

I need to decide on the fitting to connect the pipe from the filter to the bulkhead and then to fit to the return hard plastic nozzle for the outflow and some way of fitting an inflow pipe. I have no idea how to approach this. Has anyone got any advice?

I am not sure exactly what you mean but skin fittings are readily available in most sizes for a few £
D47F952B-908D-4A9C-AE43-6C80B17F9283.jpeg

Does anyone know how to connect a 16/22 soft pipe to a bulkhead?

My plan for a custom paludarium seems to have failed miserably as the supplier of glass has closed because of the virus.

The tank can still be built, however, the only option seems to be to cut holes in the back or side of the paludarium for the piping to the canister filter.

I realise a sump would be more sensible but atm have the external canister and don't have the skill of resource to build a sump.

I need to decide on the fitting to connect the pipe from the filter to the bulkhead and then to fit to the return hard plastic nozzle for the outflow and some way of fitting an inflow pipe. I have no idea how to approach this. Has anyone got any advice?
Draw a rough sketch of what you want I think is the most sensible thing to start with both short and long term; especially if you are looking for a sump in the future, you can only drill glass once!.
Include things such as:
-whether you want the connection to be a 90 degree (probably know the answer here)
-what kind of size return pump would you be putting on the sump if this will be happening in the future*
-what kind of fitting you'd like the other side of that bulkhead (in and out)
-if aesthetics are important and if so show where.
-if this is to be a permanently part rigid system either short term or long

In the UK you can get certain parts in black but not others and a lot use American TPU thread instead of BSP so starts limiting your options for other components but once things start working again then you can get a wider range of bulkheads and parts from the USA.
I have some bulkeads which are screw one side and insert (glue) the other but these could be swapped if you get the sump and think wisely in advance.

I've learnt to think it through long term and leave myself options if I can.
A lot to take in, I hope some helps and I'll happily confuse you if you ask - just ask @Geoffrey Rea :crazy:

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I had sorted it, however, the only pipework I could locate to was an imperial size. I rushed out (online) and bought the stuff and then contacted @Aquariums4life who told me that they can only cut 22mm for 27mm fittings and cannot cut the size of hole I need. They are being patient, (as in really, really patient) however, I feel like a complete idiot and am wasting their time.

I know nothing about plumbing and really don't have the knowledge or skill in this area. I really can't contemplate building a sump. I am lost.

Can anyone help? How do I connect a standard 16/22 inflow and outflow pipes to a bulkhead (I think this is the correct term) with a pipe outside with a 90 degree angle down so the pipes aren't all over the place.

Please use small words.

This was supposed to be a fun project and would have really helped during self isolation. As it is I becoming really stressed about this. It's funny how small things can become overwhelming.

Any advice or help would be very welcome.

*If you can filter through this then great, if not ask questions - I didn't realise I'd written quite so much.
I thought I had sorted it, however, the only pipework I could locate to was an imperial size. I rushed out (online) and bought the stuff and then contacted @Aquariums4life who told me that they can only cut 22mm for 27mm fittings and cannot cut the size of hole I need.
You should be able to cancel the pipework or return it within the 14 days within standard consumer rights and online purchases, just check their website to learn how which it should tell you. Any questions ask and I maybe able to help.
This was supposed to be a fun project and would have really helped during self isolation. As it is I becoming really stressed about this. It's funny how small things can become overwhelming.
This to me says stop, take a step back, collect your thoughts. After reading other parts of the post it's maybe worth you speaking to aquariums4life, just explain and it could be wise to just ask about delaying it whilst you collect your thoughts and also just inquire about adding a sump to the order - do you really think you're the first person to seem like this to them? I'm quite sure the answer to this is a firm NO so don't feel like an idiot. :)
And it still will be...........................
So what if you don't get the aquarium next week etc I've learnt to just be patient with these things and a couple of other people who I have since suggested it to have thanked me. Once it starts becoming stressful or overwhelming it's no good for you or the project.
Learning about the plumbing could be interesting if you let it or have any interest?
Any advice or help would be very welcome
So aside from taking a step back etc maybe look at finances and a long term plan as this probably makes a difference now.
IF you can see this plan including a sump then it's time to stop, speak with aquariums4life and just see about putting a hold on things whilst you understand things - I always ask these kind of questions in a very 'idiot sounding' way in a hope people will treat me like I've no idea which granted at times I don't! :what:
*I have also learnt not to listen to just one person as that has led to mistakes and the enjoyment being take out of things so lesson learnt.
BUT after hearing several different opinions I've been able to take that away, look at what I want to achieve and see if I can assemble myself a plan.
When you've got this plan try submitting it along with as much information as possible and see what people think to it before you go jumping in.
Finances are of course a big thing here too so just ask about aquariums4life supplying a simple sump for the system, prices etc - if it's in your realistic range then work towards it but just decide if that's now or in the future.
I know nothing about plumbing and really don't have the knowledge or skill in this area. I really can't contemplate building a sump. I am lost.

Can anyone help? How do I connect a standard 16/22 inflow and outflow pipes to a bulkhead (I think this is the correct term) with a pipe outside with a 90 degree angle down so the pipes aren't all over the place.
So, the sump side of things I've no experience with configuring/designing them for Paludariums but given a little time doing research you will soon learn and may decide you actually want to drill the bottom, add a weir, want more than one hole etc. You might also confuse yourself further but once you get a grasp on the basics you can adapt things to suit you a little more.

As for connecting a standard 16/22 inflow and outflow pipes hose to a bulkhead; this depends what you want on the other side of the bulkhead in part (inside) and also the size bulkhead you want to use or maybe more what hole sizes Aquariums4life can offer you. (try to think 16mm is your internal hose diameter and forget about the 22mm) ;)
If you have OCD like me then you might not like grey plastic fittings in the aquarium which you can make black in certain sizes only.
(How do you want the water to exit the bulkhead - just straight with no ability to adjust angle/direction? If not then now's the time to say.

Maybe for starters after taking that step back share some system information, what you want to achieve both short and long term, what finances you would want to commit now (remembering we don't know how jobs etc stand right now) along with what you want to achieve.

If it's just a simple I want to connect a 16mm hose to the outside of the paludarium at 90 degrees in that case speaking to aquariums4life and asking what size bulkheads (most likely smallest) they can offer you, how they're configured and whether they're all 'slip' insides (means gluing) or if they offer threaded insides is maybe the best thing and then it's just a simple case of either them supplying the fittings if you ask or obtaining them quite simply from somewhere like plastcitpipeshop or aquariumplumbing.
I'm sure someone will help you configure something once you know what you want but there's too many possibilities right now in my opinion, don't let that statement overwhelm you though! :nailbiting:

You will be fine, it's just tough trying to sort things out - I know :woot:

Thank you for the response Andrew. I have sent you a PM to thank your for your detailed and supportive response. I called up Aquarium Plumbing Ltd in Liverpool to cancel the order and Ray talked me through what I needed and said he could put it together for me. The kindness of strangers resurects your faith in human beings.

If @Aquariums4life can cut a larger hole and will agreed to reduce the width of the tank by 10cm (to accomodate the pipework and access to it) then I may just have solution. I will find out on Monday.

The post was sent a low point in the small hours of the morning when I was at a low ebb and my failure with the paludarium seemed to focus and reflect my general sense of powerlessness and ignorance in the face the virus. I will find a way out of this. Apologies to everyone on the forum for a post which seemed to be a wail of despair!

The kindness of strangers resurects your faith in human beings
There are still companies out there who are hands on, with an understanding of the product and help people - I think @Aquariums4life and Aquarium Plumbing are 2 great examples.
The post was sent a low point in the small hours of the morning when I was at a low ebb and my failure with the paludarium seemed to focus and reflect my general sense of powerlessness and ignorance in the face the virus. I will find a way out of this. Apologies to everyone on the forum for a post which seemed to be a wail of despair!
I think this is exactly what forums like this are for and not just all about who has the best looking showstopper of a planted competition style aquarium.
Your aquarium is there for you to to enjoy in most cases not the rest of the world - I just wish more people would post with this open mind.
If you need support then I think this forum is a place to find it; get different opinions and suggestions, if you don't understand it then just ask. :)
I think the whole world is at a low point now and a hobby like this is just the thing, if you don't allow it to stress you out - it has me in the past so I've learnt to just step back and collect myself whether that's taken days, weeks or months.

Most importantly no idea what you're apologising for. :)

I realise a sump would be more sensible but...... don't have the skill of resource to build a sump.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the sump, but if it's simply to keep kit in away from the display part without anything too fancy then checkout page 3 of this Journal on ukaps. https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads...flooded-forest-fringe-shallow-riparium.40131/

There's a sump using a sturdy plastic tub. A sump doesn't necessarily need to be complicated.

Although I'm sure A4L will be able to plan something for you. I've seen a friends A4L tank and it's excellent.

Back