• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Wow that is shiny my ummm ADA shiny my precious

Actually found you don’t notice it much in tank @Jayefc1 despite the metal body.

Only trying it out because I’m utterly hopeless at maintaining the glassware with the skim portion on it. Break them every time. In that way it’s probably better economy. Also the eheim skim just stood out too much, but the eheim skimmer is a far more powerful skimmer. Think a lot of people would be disappointed at the skim rate of the Vuppa 2. Only ever ran the eheim at minimum anyway as getting very little surface film so not too much of a problem on this setup.

Jammy dodgers will be far more efficient.......!

Still having flash backs of those Jammy centres floating around @Siege such a mess. Whenever that kid eats anything now I’m watching him like a hawk 😂

Last edited:
I seen them at horizon aquatics they look very smart, we want to see it in tank

Laughed at jays jammy doger comment

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Will post a photo tomorrow @Deano3 and people can see what they think.

As for the AS600 that got Jammy Dogered right after being scaped, it’s still suffering and requiring a watchful eye. Will update the other journal when it gets to one month.

we want to see it in tank //emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji16.png

Right lights are on:

1592486887619.jpeg

1592486948000.jpeg

1592486920884.jpeg

Do find it can be ignored pretty easily.

It skims very lightly but this tank is run pretty clean. No real surface film, just dust. As you can see surface is clear:

1592487108172.jpeg

Vuppa 2 has very bad reviews; underpowered, sometimes noisy depending on the water level...again, not worth it IMO. :confused:

I can understand this. The float switch makes it pulse on and off so you get a knocking sound. As the sponge gets more blocked this stops. Placed a fine sponge in for more resistance and it ran smooth. It’s adequate for my purposes but I think most would be disappointed. In my opinion if you want a tank skimmed install an overflow. Overflows take in everything, surface scum, fish, shrimp... even the odd plant 😂

can the shrimp still get into the vuppa mate

Would be very surprised mate. It’s a very fine slit:

1592487717881.jpeg

Pairing those barbs with green neons is an act of genius. It’s a stunning combination - even better than the usual tried and tested combo with rummies.

I like how in spite of being so shiny the Wuppa does look very discreet and unobtrusive.

Last edited:
Pairing those barbs with green neons is an act of genius. It’s a stunning combination - even better than the usual tried and tested combo with rummies.

The thing you can’t capture in a photo is the behaviour @Ray

The Barbs can come charging in at feeding time and the green neons couldn’t care less 😂 They’re so large and the neons so quick that any competition becomes moot.

It is a nice blend of colours, shapes and behaviour though and it’s turned out to be a peaceful mix.

despite the cons, I’ve to say the vuppa 2 in an sexy skimmer:cool:

Cons...

- Had to adapt the Co2 to the lower surface agitation

- Knocking sound is irritating

Solution...

- Adapt the Co2

- Use a fine sponge

It’s still a pathetic skimmer for a 1200 though @CooKieS 😂 As before though if you run a clean tank it’ll do for this size tank and it isn’t an eyesore. Bet it would be fine on a 60P or a 90P.

I am liking those Barbs :) they look pretty stunning :) how big do they grow?
Does anyone actually need a skimmer? Never used one!

Skimmer looks great mate as said very unobtrusive and blends in well, funnily enough just watched a great comparison of this vs eheim skimmer also shows how to strip it etc defently worth a watch on youtube by horizon aquatics, i am there tomorro picking up light and filter and soil etc for when my ea 900 arrives.

As said i love green neons and fish look super healthy, love this tank.

Dean

I am liking those Barbs :) they look pretty stunning :) how big do they grow?
Does anyone actually need a skimmer? Never used one!
I get surface scum and will be using eheim skimmer in my ea 900 for a bit of flow and to keep surface clean, already have a new one so may aswel use it.

Hope your tank doing well mate

Dean

Hope your tank doing well mate
So far so good, just the waiting game for plants to grow in, at this rate I might need to chop the stems next week ;)

Meanwhile down on the farm...

1592914282427.jpeg

Not a bad yield of Charlottes from 4x2ft. Wind broke the stems so called it early, but this weeks hot weather should dry them out well. Another round in to see if we can get lucky and still another 60 Stuttgarter Riesen onions to harvest next month as well.

Sprinkling of compost on top:

1592914364944.jpeg

Round two:

1592914432904.jpeg

Aye and the riesen’s are actually the easiest variety I’ve grown in our recent unpredictable spring/early summer weather. Massive thick stem and couldn’t care less about the recent thunderstorms, wind and varying temp.

You should get growing them @Jayefc1 before the season ends... anywhere in your garden that drains rapidly. Been popping them in any available gap to cope with the kids future sauce demands 😂

Back