• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NanoCubes for Bettas

lilirose

Pics of my basic Betta tanks. I have two set up now...as they are 20l/30l/30l and fairly static with super-easy plants, I didn't think they each deserve their own thread. Two are currently set up, one will be scaped sometime over the next week, I think (and will be the only one with pressurised CO2).

Yes, I like to stick anubias to the tank walls with suction cups, it looks a lot better than the plastic "betta leaves" that a lot of Betta keepers think are a necessity!

The 20 liter has been running for a year now, with a minor rescape after the first Betta died last May. It has one of those canned CO2 kits, I've had to cover the bell with cheesecloth as otherwise the Betta tries to swim up it:
2020-09-06 19.03.59.jpg

The first 30l has been running since July. I added a Bio CO2 kit a couple of weeks ago- it doesn't really do much bubbling, will likely remove it when I run out of refills:
2020-09-05 20.38.39.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! What is the purpose of the plastic rings floating on the surface? I have the same sponge filter as in your first pic in my 30 cm cube. No fish yet.

Looking good! What is the purpose of the plastic rings floating on the surface? I have the same sponge filter as in your first pic in my 30 cm cube. No fish yet.

Thank you! :D

Those are DIY feeding rings made of airline tubing. They're partly to keep food in one spot so I can be sure the Betta doesn't leave any behind (somewhat critical in an inhabited tank that small), partly to keep floating plants away from the feeding area, and partly to train the Betta to come to the same spot. I should really remake the blue one, it was all I had when I got the Betta. You can buy ready made ones as well, they tend to be made of black plastic.

Both tanks have identical filters- only the one in the first picture is a little smaller, and the one in the second picture has the same blue airline that I made the feeding ring from. :)

Here's a sneak peek of the second 30l which I planted today. It looks a little mucky, I know, it's pretty fresh. Still trying to work out how to best make pressurised CO2 work in a low-flow tank with a sponge filter- right now the CO2 is just going straight to the top instead of moving around the tank. Suggestions are welcome!

This will eventually be home to a Betta after the crypts get well established.
2020-09-14 17.24.23.jpg

Update on the Crypt tank: everything melted. I waited a month, kept fertilizing and pumping in the CO2. Added a Crypt Nurii from @frothhelmet which did not melt. Some of the melted plants began to grow back. A week ago today I decided to add more crypts. I did my best not to disturb the roots of anything in the process of regrowth.

The new plants haven't melted yet- I lost a couple of leaves from the C. purpurea but it's hanging in there. That Petchii Pink in the centre is a cracker. I'm in love with it.

The hornwort will be removed soon. The tank is nowhere near ready for a Betta- I need to see maybe 10-15cm more upward growth on the crypts first.
2020-10-18 20.22.06.jpg

Your blue boy is a real beauty. Such long fins, is he a crowntail?
I've never understoody the plastic betta leaves either.

Your blue boy is a real beauty. Such long fins, is he a crowntail?
I've never understoody the plastic betta leaves either.

Yes, he's a crowntail. He came from a German breeder and is the healthiest Betta I've ever owned.

Also- the Bettas do actually rest on the anubias all the time. I know other Betta keepers with planted tanks and plastic Betta leaves, which their Bettas use regularly- seems like an anubias on a suction cup is a no-brainer, but most people don't think outside the box, I guess...

Last edited:
Its a good idea. My anubias is on a long piece of wood lent up in the corner for a bit of height, but he mostly rests under another piece low down. I'd much rather have real plants than the plastic leaf. The floating Betta logs also seem to be popular, but I just like the look of them.

@lilirose maybe a small HOB filter flowing in over your CO2 Not invasive in the tank and still keep sponge filter

@PARAGUAY, thanks for the suggestion. I use sponge filters because they are Betta-safe. HOBs need to be modified to a trickle in order to make them Betta-safe in such a small tank- otherwise the fish would be blown all over the place. I'm satisfied that the CO2 is getting around the tank just fine with the Twinstar diffuser. I realise I'm losing some CO2, but that's less important to me than maintaining low current for the health of the future inhabitant.

Wow even I am impressed my crypt didn't melt when put into a new tank with CO2 coming from low-tech. Tough plant!

I split the crypts you set up- half in that tank and half in the other 30 liter, which I guess is mid-tech as it has bio CO2? I'll get a pic as soon as I get around to fishing out this week's catappa leaf (which is covering half of it). Amazing plants, I've maybe lost two leaves total even when the rest of the tank melted? I adore crypts (which is why I stuffed seven different species into one 30l, and even made it high tech!) but those C. nurii are the best!

The first 30l nano cube, which has bio CO2, freshly trimmed Bacopa caroliniana, and another lovely Crypt nurii from @frothhelmet which seems to be enjoying the sand hugely... Had a strange die-off of my Frogbit in that tank- it looked like it was rotting, not the usual suspects like drips from above- but it's easily replaced...

2020-10-27 18.58.57.jpg

Just an update on the evolution of the tanks. Rescaped the crowntail Betta's tank, it's fully low-tech for now.
2021-02-04 21.43.44.jpg

And a progress pic of the Cryptocoryne tank (which is acquiring inhabitants, including a Cambodian Betta along with Amano shrimp, a few Anubias and a Buce that the Betta uses as a bed:
2021-02-04 21.46.18.jpg

Love these - totally different look to my gloomy forest floor 20l dennerle cube! Great inspiration.

Mustn’t get a betta... 😬

Love these - totally different look to my gloomy forest floor 20l dennerle cube! Great inspiration.

Mustn’t get a betta... 😬

I'll be honest, the Betta in the 20 liter (the one at the very top of the thread) is ailing, and when he goes- his tank will become a shrimp tank, and I'll be adding a third 30 liter to the group before I get another Betta.

20 liters is just about adequate for a Betta, but I have found that a water change every fourth day is required to keep it fresh, which gets a bit tedious. I have two other 20l with shrimp and they don't require quite so much maintenance.

Yeah, I’m still scarred from killing a pair of ill-chosen fish 15 years ago - and beautiful as they are I don’t think fish are for me.
I love how low maintenance, yet fun, my shrimp are.

Back