• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feeding shrimp without the fish nicking it

Raws69

Hi

finally moved my fish into the new tank which has 15 or so cherry shrimp in it. Only been a few days and all the shrimp are hiding (assume this will change) Tried putting a few pellets in for the shrimp but the fish had a field day. Is there any food type which the fish will leave alone, seen something about autumn leaves does this work?

cheers

I don’t bother specifically feeding shrimp, they don’t need much to sustain them and feed on the biofilm and algae in the tank. The leaves that you mention however are good as they develop a lot of biofilm once they have been in the tank for a while which the shrimp then feed off. Oak and beech leaves are good if you want to collect your own or you can purchase catappa leaves on eBay etc.

cheers

Conor

In my tank the amanos steal the fish food. Sinking pellets tend to bypass the swimming fish but if you have bottom feeders then you are a bit stuck. The cherries in the tank seem to mop up leftovers (the shrimp always seem to sort themselves out).

I have previously fed fish with floating / slow sinking food and then a little while later dropped in sinking pellets (I had an issue with some fish stealing the Cory food) and this seemed to work as the fish were hungry when the sinking pellets came past

Back