• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY LED lighting?

I managed to find somewhere that sells the 700mA version of the Recom RCD-24. It should be able to power about 6-7 x 3W LEDs from a 24V supply. At a push, it might power 9-10 x 3W LEDs. But that would require almost 36V, which is more than most affordable supplies can source, and is also dangerously close to the absolute maximum of the device itself.

Nice work again SuperColey1

I am going to build LED light for my small 35 liters Arcadia tank, and I am going to use 14 x 1W lumileds instead of 3W ones, because tank is quite small, 1W leds have better lumen/Watt ratio and as I learned from Apsys post, they are not emiting too much heat.
If somebody is looking for 1W lumileds, here is where I have found quite chip source: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302227030 these have batwing radiation pattern.
As a power source I am going to use VariLED 16 LED driver because it looks like it is straight forward plug and play device.
I will make a luminaire using 1mm thick aluminium sheet, but I don't know that I will still need heatsinks if I am going to mount leds directly to luminaire using thermally conductive tape. Do you think 1mm thick aluminium luminaire will be enough to take and spread heat from the 1W leds or it is better to use heatsinks?

spider72 said:
Nice work again SuperColey1

I am going to build LED light for my small 35 liters Arcadia tank, and I am going to use 14 x 1W lumileds instead of 3W ones, because tank is quite small, 1W leds have better lumen/Watt ratio and as I learned from Apsys post, they are not emiting too much heat.
If somebody is looking for 1W lumileds, here is where I have found quite chip source: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302227030 these have batwing radiation pattern.

spider72: I bought some of those 1W Leds. Some of the lenses are scuffed (that's probably why they are so cheap). They don't seem to be damaged too much. They look like they've been lying around the floor or something. Just so you know, they aren't in perfect condition.

For the heatsinks, you might get away with 1mm. I read somewhere that 1W Star LEDs can be used without a heasink, if the air circulation is good. But if I was you, I would probably go with something a bit thicker than 1mm, especially if the Luminaire is enclosed.

scottturnbull
I already received these 1W leds and indeed one lens is damaged, but as I only need 14 than I still have one spare, which is not bad for the money.

Thanks for your advice about heatsinks, luminaire will be open and it will hang about 25cm over the tank, so I think air circulation should be sufficient for not to use the heatsinks, but if not, there should be not a problem to add them later. I will also use 2mm aluminium sheet for the top of luminaire, where leds will be mounted.
Regards

A few shots of LED heaven for all of the addicts. lol:

This is both tanks. The main tank only has 3 of the 5 series on in this pic so that 2.8W x 9 = 25.2W = 0.76WPG!!! The top one is 3 x 2.8W = 8.4W:

tankcorner.jpg

And a couple of the mini tank. This is the luminaire that has the 30º lenses in. I like the effect they give but may eventually pull the lenses off and get rid of the focus if the plants at the edges don't do well (they aren't planted yet :))
Firstplanted.jpg

front-6.jpg

AC

Some more pics:

These pics do not compare the LED without the lense properly to the lensed one because I am still using the lense holder as it holds the LED nicely in place. Also there is the 6mm acrylic so basically instead of the Lense 'restricting' the spread it is now free to bounce around the 'tunnel' created by the lense holder and acrylic before being able to spread where it wants when it reaches the end.

This means there is not the light spread that you saw on the main luminaire where the whole LED is open to emit light in all directions.

Here is a comparison. The 2 lights on the left have lenses in and the one on the right does not:
10lensecompare.jpg

This is the tank first with the lenses in and then without any lenses:
fullfront-6.jpg

10nolense.jpg

Doesn't look hugely different at first glance because this is only an 8" high tank so we do not need long reaching beams here but you can clearly see in the centre of the tank the white brightness has gone and in the front corners there is a better spread of light. There is better light all around in reality but then I've spoken about my photography skills before. lol. Take a look at the tank side of the heater and the colour of the silicon for a good insight into what I mean.

Both of these photos were taken in a room where all the light (apart from the main tank's luminaire is on below) is turned off. The camera is on auto everything except for white balance which is on Daylight Fluorescent.

AC

The hot-spots definitely look good. It's an effect only LEDs seem to be able to produce.

I take it you are playing around with the lenses because you anticipate problems with the coverage?

Nice tanks AC.

I'm getting pretty close to settling on a PWM controller. Once I've got it working I'll post the circuit. The one I'm working on at the moment is cross-platform (it has drivers for Windows, Macs, and Linux), and costs between 30-40 quid. Not bad, considering the EasyLife LED computer costs over 200 quid. It also has other inputs and outputs, which could be used for logging temperature etc.

I wasn't overly happy with it when I did it really. I thought it looked great as your run of the mill office ornament but when you actually look at the substrate it was a case of crazy bright in the centre and no very bright on the outer limits etc.

It is good now and I think the glosso will like it a lot more :)

By the way its not going leggy. I planted the emersed plants in clumps and am waiting for it to root and spread before chopping it right down to the substrate to get the carpet to grow :)

AC

Right all i have ordered some luxeon leds and heatsinks earlier this week. (same source as Andys)

But the source Andy got his drivers from has none listed at the moment, i have sent an email asking if they will be getting anymore.

So im trying to get some from else where in case the above does not come through.

I have found these ones from China [urlhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1W-LED-Driver-for-Luxeon-White-Green-Blue_W0QQitemZ250385722095QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item250385722095&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318][/url]ot sure why they only recommend 15 volts though when they can have a maxium voltage of 24 volts.

Anyone know of anything else avaliable? im looking to drive 8 to 10 1w leds.

Cheers Gordon.

BINKSY1973 said:
Anyone know of anything else avaliable? im looking to drive 8 to 10 1w leds.
Cheers Gordon.

If you can afford it, I'd get one of these. It drives up to 9 x 1Watt LEDs, and you don't need to worry about the voltages or transformers or anything like that. It senses the number of LEDs you are driving.

It might seem more expensive than those ebay drivers, but those also require a transformer to run, so it probably works out cheaper in the long run.

Actually thats not a bad price, thanks for that, only thing is if i go for 10 leds then i would need2 then it becomes expensive.

I have a 24v power source, which i did not pay for so shall continue searching for now.

Chees Gordon.

Ok just had a reply from the seller on ebay, and he is getting some more drivers and is going to relist soon, so panic over and as mentoned earlier i already have a 24v dc power supply. Happy days.

Cheers Gordon.

hi all
just started looking into led as an alternative light source and found this site .LEDF.CO.UK has anyone tried the replacement t8 tubes ?
cheers flash

Hi
I have finished my LED lamp and it is working from about 4 weeks now, just I did not have enough time to show you this masterpiece of engineering ;) :lol:
Lamp is design for 35 liters Arcadia tank, and uses 14 pcs of 1W Luxeon Star LEDs with batwing colimator. Color temp. is 5500K (white, or cool white) and light angle is approx. 100-110 deg. Leds are drived and powered by Variled driver made by Lumidrive, as I was to lazy to assemble my own driver, and Variled is quite small and looks quite compact together with such small lamp.

Here are pictures of a tank with original Arcadia lamp with 6500K fluorescent 11W

16pcs of 1W Luxeons cost me about 12£ delivered.
Lamp body is made of 1mm thk aluminium sheet from ebay, about 8£ delivered, driver about 35£ + other screws, nuts and bolts, etc.
Total cost about: 55-60£.

Lamp:

LEDs:

Tank lit with LEDs:

LEDs are hanging over about 15cm above water surface, but I figured out that is a little too high, and too much light was going out of tank. I was too lazy to rebuild lamp body, so I bought 60 deg optics, 20 pcs for 7£ delivered from HongKong and this is how it looks like now:

Optics:

Tank with optics:

As you can see, with optics more light is going to the tank, less light on the walls arround.

SuperColey1, I have 6 spare optics left (60deg), if you would like to try them on your nano than let me know by pm, I can give you 3 pcs, as your 30deg looks quite narrow.

I don't use the lense/collimators at all now. I have the bare LED die siliconed to the hole. I have also chopped the stand 'seats' off so the unit is now directly resting on the surface. Wasn't cutting the mustard with the smaller tank.

If I were you I would lower yours, doesn't look anywhere near as bright as the orig tropical which is a bad sign knowing how dim Orig Tropicals can look!!!

Maybe the camera adjusting the light but doesn't look as bright to me!!!

Your lense collimaters are for batwing whereas my LEDs are lambertian!!! May not work/fit anyway :) Thanks for the offer though ;)

AC

Spider72:

That's very cool. The light looks fine to me. There's more definition with LEDs than with the original lamp.

A word of advice. There is 240V going into that driver. It's just a few inches away from the water, and the luminaire is metal. You might want to fix the driver to the wall, and run a cable to the hood for the LEDs.

Hi all,

Have got most of my kit together for LED Lighting using 1w power luxeon LEDS. Im having trouble soldering on the wires for some reason. I have brought a 30w soldering iron. Any of you got any tips on soldering the wire onto the LEDS?

what I did was hold the wire to the solder plate and then press down with the soldering iron. The minute I felt it move I pulled it off. probs talking half a second for each one. That is with an old soldering iron that is virtually shwing all the copper too. lol

Ones I had trouble with I dipped the tip of the wire in some flux first and then 'dabbed' the soldering iron on.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
what I did was hold the wire to the solder plate and then press down with the soldering iron.

Thanks for the tip. Did you put some solder onto the wire first? or are you saying there is solder on the plate of the led?

Cheers Gordon.

Back