• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

mfcphil said:
After more reading of your journal I see the moss wall went the journey.
The mosses in this tank also started falling apart after a while and just now starting to recover, funny thing is they started falling apart also in my main tank at the same time, which is a totally different system which gets dosed completly different. The only thing I can think off was the water changed in some way or the other!!!

A quick shot of the tank:
pict0076b.jpg

nelson said:
wow :!: .not got many shrimp then :lol: .
neil
I have another tank just for cherries too ;) these are my selective more reder breeding attempt. ;)

Wow, your leigions are vast indeed ! Any luck with the cardinals ?

TBRO said:
Wow, your leigions are vast indeed ! Any luck with the cardinals ?
The Cardinals are long gone right about the time the water went "milky", coincidence?? Maybe!!!
I am trying now to breed the Crystal Reds & Blacks, I have seen the odd shrimplet but then they disappear and the females show up dead, which is another worry.

I might try that Oliver Knott substrate which lowers PH and creates better conditions for shrimp in general.

Few more photos (not great quality but tank is not great at present and glass was a little dirty):

pict0057i.jpg

pict0100a.jpg

pict0115y.jpg

pict0088d.jpg

pict0103i.jpg

pict0095syx.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

LondonDragon said:
nry said:
My milky water was down to me using dry (OK, mixed with water) trace mix from AE. Something to do with one of the ingredients, the chelator I think - I was advised (by this forum) to try a different trace mix and after switching to Tropica PN I've never had milky water since. Some water just doesn't like the 'cheaper' chelators used in some of the dry trace powder mixes.
I only dose TPN+ in this tank, no dry powders ;)

Might be worth trying the dry power instead?

nry said:
Might be worth trying the dry power instead?
Nothing to do with the water cloudiness IMO, even when I didn't dose anything for a few weeks it remained cloudy.

Did some work in the tank today, after messing about with the substrate the water went completly milky again, I am pretty sure it is the Amazonia II soil. Either way I removed the Internal Juwel filter rated at 280lph and installed a new internal filter rated at 400lph plus the Eheim Aquaball and see what impact that has on the tank.

I have decided though that I will get a 10 liter bag of Oliver Knott fine soil for this tank, so maybe in the next couple of weeks I will completly redo this tank, going to be interesting fishing all the shrimp out since I can't see anything inside the tank once I mess about with the substrate.

I will post a video later how the tank looks after messing with the substrate as a warning to anyone that decided to get Amazonia II, after 6-7 months it will look like this :p

Thats all for now :)

paulo, food for thought.

i'm no expert on shrimps, its just observations.....in my 2 footer with old AS which has lost most of its properties(i think) my cherries were pinky/red. i've now put the same shrimp in my new 120 with oli knott substrate and they've gone bright red! there all much happier feeding too!

Shrimp look great LD :D Just noticed in my shrimp only tank that I have two more Red cherries pregnant, and also one of my Crystal reds :D I've always used Akadama in this tank with no problems so far. Hopefully the Crystal red shrimplets will survive :rolleyes:

Just a quick video so you guys can see what I am talking about, after I mess about with the ADA Amazonia II soil in my tank this is what I have to look forward too for the next few weeks:

It only clears 80% after many water changes, and I had to up the filtration too to clear the dust, the filter sponges are full of mud.

The soil started breaking up after about 7 months in the tank, its been like this now for about 4 months. :( :arghh: :arghh:

SteveUK said:
I bet you can't wait to get rid of it mate! :(
Yeah tell me about it, hate looking at this tank at the moment!!

JamesM said:
Yeah, that horrible mate... gutting :(
What are you thinking of replacing it with?
10l bag of Nature Soil fine should be arriving today ;)
So hopefully it will be gone tomorrow hehe

Just a quick update, the 10l bag of soil arrived :) so tomorrow I am doing the change over :)

Just spend a few minutes removing all the plants into a bucket ready for tomorrow and was planning on catching the shrimp to a different tank for a couple of weeks until things settled down in this tank.

But how can I find them???? LOLOL

pict0010k.jpg

pict0018uub.jpg

Time for a couple of water changes!! :? :? :?

LondonDragon said:
But how can I find them???? LOLOL

Try this method LD worked for me.

Though with how many shrimp you got you may need a few bottles :D

milla said:
Try this method LD worked for me.

Though with how many shrimp you got you may need a few bottles :D

Thanks a lot for the video, going to make my traps right now and hopefully in a couple of hours I can take a few hundred out hehe :) I will update later on!! :)

Well I am exhausted!!! 4 hours last night catching shrimp and this morning catching the rest, was a challenge! Specially when I couldn't see much inside the tank even with only 4 inches of water at the bottom.

The traps didn't really work, but was worth a try, set up two and caught about 20 shrimp each, so a few hundreded still left inside lol in the end I covered the gravel with a mesh that I had to create a moss wall and then just using a net swirled around in the tank and caught all of them without catching the gravel ;) worked a treat :)

I have now completed all the work, I really like the Nature Soil look and no more cloudy water, even after a refil of the tank with new substrate and using the existing filters which still had some mud in them, didn't want to clean them too much.

Some photos later today, off to the park to catch some sunshine before the Arsenal vs Chelsea game, in the end didn't get the tickets :( oh well there is always the final :p

Back