• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The brief and incomplete future of aquascaping

Hi all,
The bonsai on life-support is surely a comment on our destruction of the natural world
I'd like to think so, but as another Bonsai related sculpture is:
........At an altitude of 30,000 meters and minus 50 degrees celsius, botany evolves into EXBIOTA – an extra-terrestrial life. While a pine tree bonsai confronts Earth’s horizon, a bouquet of flowers marches towards the sun. Free from everything, the plants can head to space. This is a botanical journey in space carefully documented by a camera......
Which seems to have a touch more of the Elon Musk's about it.
and debate as to "What Is Art?" has gone on ever since. It's largely pointless, because Art is whatever we say is Art.
I understand that, I'm not trying to impose some sort of cultural hegemony, and people are going to see very different things in any art work. My guess is that it his is an art form that might be more easily appreciated from a Japanese cultural viewpoint.

I was very much in a minority (possibly even a minority of one) at the "Figurative Art is dead" talk.

But I'll let Japanese conceptual artist Makoto speak for himself.
......... With conceptual botanical sculpture, freezing multicoloured floral compositions, creating installations for brands like Hermes, working with fashion designers like Dries Van Noten, and even sending a 50-year-old bonsai and tree flower bouquets into space, he has experimented with the strength and power of flowers and plants when they face a hostile (or alien) environment like space, ice and fire. Despite critical environmental conditions, plants and flowers still burst with life, finding new expressions that even flowers or plants could never have imagined. The beauty of nature can now find new ways of communicating their organic forms through the artist’s work..........

cheers Darrel

Hi Folks,

For me, an artform that I like is one that doesn't require me to think about it in order to appreciate it. That's the beauty of Art - it bypasses the intellectual faculties. It communicates in a way that cannot be put into words. I'm happy to leave the rest to that branch of philosophy - aesthetics.

JPC

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. The first time I approached it I thought that it pretentious rubbish - a visual version of a Marina Abramović performance art. As I thought about it the thing that struck me about Azums Makoto's work was (like @paul.in.kendal) both the beauty and the message within it. I read this both as a commentary on the destruction of the natural work but also our disconnection from it. It was art but also had a political message within it pushing us to change (a more subtle approach than Banksy).

In relation to aquascaping it was a bit of lightbulb moment - my personal take on this was as follows:

1. A potential future: The development of further brushed stainless steel 'life support' systems to keep alive a perfect moment through a blend of art and science shown in Makoto's work could (and to an extent) already is one path the ADA (by this I mean the ADA inspired competition approach) is following. Makoto's terrarium seems to characterture of this approach but also give us a glimpse of one potential future for aquascaping.
2. Disconnection: It highlights for me how far the current ADA approach takes us from nature and how the ADA approach attempts to control, manipulate, literally box in life into sterile engineered environments removed from nature. This seems a far cry from Takashi Amano's original philosophy of aquascaping:
“Through building and maintaining natural aquaria, people relearn the intricate connections between forms of life: plants, fishes, microorganisms, and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth.”
– Takashi Amano, epilogue of Nature Aquarium World, Book One, 1992
The aquatic world isn't one of just crystal clear blue water without biofilm or algae. Aquatic nature is rich, diverse and above all messy. Shouldn't we be connecting with and supporting this worldview?
3. Lack of meaning: Makoto's work has meaning within it in addition to being beautiful. ADA aquascapes are beautiful pieces in themselves, however, as they take us further away from 'nature' and Amano's 'truth' they have lost their meaning and their artistic value. Pretty pictures, however, nothing more.
4. Spiritual disconnection: Both the work of Makoto and ADA seem to take us away from a spiritual connection with creation, husbandry, nurturing, caring towards engineering short term solutions.* Add in a mirror, discuss the correct fish to show off your aquascape (after all fish they are only pretty objects which function to enhance the photograph of your amazing diorama). If they don't fit with yout latest scape then give them away.
5. Instant gratification: In my slow ineffective way I see aquascaping as a process of engaging with natural processes, working with them, nudging rather than pushing cajoling over time as a lengthy process rather than a rapid development, rip down and when it's reached perfection (instagram) and rescape.
6. Outcome focussed. For me the value of aquascaping is and should be the process. It refreshes my 'soul' it's a place of mindfulness and at its' best time slows when I am aquascaping. If the outcome isn't competition standard (it's far from this) and has a bit of algae it doesn't lessen the value of both the object and the process. Makoto's work seemed to point to the importance of the final object which we stare at through glass - something which it has in common with the current ADA approach.

So back to the future of aquascaping. Where now? I think the ADA competition approach is a dead end. Perhaps we need a different approach - drawing upon the knowledge gleaned in the biotope movement, however, blending it with the artistic skills in the mainstream aquascaping community.

Sorry for the longish post...

* On re-reading these are these polarities and mutually exclusive?

Eloquent and thought provoking. I’d guess all forms will continue to be expressed as this reflects our diverse personality types. Do you wash and wax your car every Sunday or drive through the carwash just before you sell it? We might all like doing planted tanks but our motivations and drivers are probably diverse.

personally it’s an expression of interest in nature; there is design there to enhance the lives of the fish and because the creative process is enjoyable and yes to make something beautiful, a pleasing composition, but not art; but maybe I’m an aquarist not a scaper?

my fear is the hobby exists in a vacuum, obsessively trying to recreate a mirror of nature whilst being blinkered from its degredation. For example, is it sustainable to pump CO2 into a tank in an age of global warming or source wild caught fish from shrinking rainforests?

Last edited:
Back