• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mopani and Frodo

Paul Kettless

Hi All,

Recently I purchased some of Andrew's lovely Frodo stone, approx 20kg and a bag of ADA La Plata sand 8kg which I am really pleased with and I already had 2 fairly large pieces of Mopani. These are interesting pieces but in an ideal world I would now swap them out for redwood or something similar. My dilemma is, they were both bought for me by my partner and daughter as "a gift for me" I know the guys paid quite a lot on money on these and also now feel I have a moral reason to use them. Plus I absolutly love the wood as it has some real dark colours too it

Im not an aquascaper, and I wont even pretend to be. However, for my liking I lean more to biotope and natural scapes. I say this as I am not worried about sticking to the exact rules but I do want my aquascaper 900 to look balanced. As by the advice I have been given by you guys I am going to start out low tech, and easy plants, maybe a couple of middle for colour although I have also just purchased a new light from adavin, so am now the rather proud owner of an ONF flat one 90cm 90w. Goods new with this light is that I can adjust the intensity when needed for the move to c02.

Mopani doesnt seem that fashionable in the scaping world, and I am struggling to find the inspiration for a style of scape. Im hoping this is where you more experienced folk can help me out a little. If you have the hardscape materials that I have, what would your direction be, plants, fish etc I know that this is a subjective question as we are all different, but Im just trying to get a different perspective and maybe help me think outside of the box a little.

Thanks

don't worry about what is fashionable or trying to keep up with any trends, it sounds like you like the look of the mopani you have so run with it, none of us here are enjoying the tank daily like yourself and your family will be so do what you like the look of

of course people on here will be happy to help with opinions on moving it here or there but it's all part of learning what you do and don't like yourself, mopani can 100% work just as well as other woods in a scape and it's just another challenge to take on which is half the fun of it

i've been as guilty as any for overthinking my early attempts and you only know what suits you by trying it out :thumbup:

oh and mopani leaches tannins like mad as i'm sure you know, so get it boiled and pre-soaked for a few weeks first (unless you want the tannins)

Hi
I love Mopani wood......use it!
Free tea coloured water. Im sure the Cardinal Tetras will love it......;)
Nothing nicer than Java Moss growing on Mopani.

Thanks for the input gents, will def be some form of Java fern, bolbitis, crypts and mosses for sure.

Def dont want the tannins, the water is soaking already and being changed every few days. Appreciate your thoughts gents, Im guessing a jungle style would look good with it

Back