• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Little Slice Of Nature

Thanks jay and sammy i will try repositioning the pipes tomorro and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hey @Deano3

Alternative proposition for flow if it’s possible. Looking back through your journal your soil height may just allow it:

1607812103461.jpeg

Position your intake in the back right corner. It would pull flow through your stems and improve distribution. May require removing leaves from the lower intake with pinsettes regularly, but on the plus side the intake won’t get as dirty as quickly being exposed to less light.

getting a lot of algae on the buce and anubias and on the pinitifida

All epiphytes in your setup with no access to soil. Betting the anubius and buce haven’t yet achieved good adherence to hardscape, Pinnatifida may just be a casualty susceptible due to another factor. If they don’t have good adherence to something they melt their leaves from the outer edges inwards from experience and BBA buffet time. Think in a time scale of months to correct this but once it’s well attached it calms down.

Hey @Deano3

Alternative proposition for flow if it’s possible. Looking back through your journal your soil height may just allow it:

View attachment 158962

Position your intake in the back right corner. It would pull flow through your stems and improve distribution. May require removing leaves from the lower intake with pinsettes regularly, but on the plus side the intake won’t get as dirty as quickly being exposed to less light.

All epiphytes in your setup with no access to soil. Betting the anubius and buce haven’t yet achieved good adherence to hardscape, Pinnatifida may just be a casualty susceptible due to another factor. If they don’t have good adherence to something they melt their leaves from the outer edges inwards from experience and BBA buffet time. Think in a time scale of months to correct this but once it’s well attached it calms down.
Thanks Geoffrey i am hoping it all calms down and settles but happy with the overall look at the minute just a few smaller problems. Think i may need to pull out and plant tops soon after a few nore trims.

And regarding the lily pipes i will have a play about cant make mind up what way to try first . Was thinking left rear at first bit dont know of the stems would distript the flow pattern to much.

Thanks mate
Dean

My layout is very similar top yours Dean (just mirrored) here, I have my filter inlet and outlet where @Geoffrey Rea has suggested. I find it works really well - the flow creates some CO2 rich turbulence over the top of the stems, hits the end glass and is forced downwards to the substrate, and then flows around and along the rocks at the front of the tank, before being drawn back over the rocks and through the stems to the outlet. It seems to cover all areas, and as two bonuses a) hides the pipework, and b) seems to push any detritus into the bottom corner (which would be the front right corner on your tank) for easy vacuuming.

I'm not sure which filter you have currently, but I'm essentially using an Oase 850, but because I use a large CO2 reactor, I have to supplement with a stream pump also to get sufficient distribution, and my tank is only a 60cm - so you may need to consider adding to the turnover somehow?

My layout is very similar top yours Dean (just mirrored) here, I have my filter inlet and outlet where @Geoffrey Rea has suggested. I find it works really well - the flow creates some CO2 rich turbulence over the top of the stems, hits the end glass and is forced downwards to the substrate, and then flows around and along the rocks at the front of the tank, before being drawn back over the rocks and through the stems to the outlet. It seems to cover all areas, and as two bonuses a) hides the pipework, and b) seems to push any detritus into the bottom corner (which would be the front right corner on your tank) for easy vacuuming.

I'm not sure which filter you have currently, but I'm essentially using an Oase 850, but because I use a large CO2 reactor, I have to supplement with a stream pump also to get sufficient distribution, and my tank is only a 60cm - so you may need to consider adding to the turnover somehow?
Thanks mate, i have put the inlet behind the stems hopefully make flow a little better.

I currently have the oase 600 thermo but thinking of upgrading to the 850 for that little extra flow, maybe a Christmas present for myself then sell the 600 as only used for 3 months.

Got some cool pics of snails not sure if trying to breed or what.

Also my trident seems to be dying off for some strange reason.

Thanks dean

b98e5daa5d4363003dee405cefb4eb31.jpg
bfe205fea384055a8571bb992e64f64b.jpg
fd4b7f224693a26214463fd7801588a9.jpg

Juts to clarify Dean, I think you should have the outflow lily pipe in the back corner also, otherwise you could end up with a U-shaped rather than circular flow, and potentially a dead spot in that area at the right hand end between then inlet/outlet.

Juts to clarify Dean, I think you should have the outflow lily pipe in the back corner also, otherwise you could end up with a U-shaped rather than circular flow, and potentially a dead spot in that area at the right hand end between then inlet/outlet.
Geoffreys suggested putting the inlet in rear right corner i thought would try that first as didnt need much to adjust. Sorry mate thought you meant same thing my bad

Where would you advise the pipes rear left next to each other so flow hits the stems and goes around front and into the inlet ? Willing to try everything mate if improves the flow and make best possible environment i can.

Also what you think avout upgrading the filter, and not sure why the trident seems tk have died off.

Thanks dean

Geoffreys suggested putting the inlet in rear right corner i thought would try that first as didnt need much to adjust. Sorry mate thought you meant same thing my bad

Where would you advise the pipes rear left next to each other so flow hits the stems and goes around front and into the inlet ? Willing to try everything mate if improves the flow and make best possible environment i can.

Also what you think avout upgrading the filter, and not sure why the trident seems tk have died off.

Thanks dean

See what @Geoffrey Rea thinks on the outlet placement mate, he's the resident expert - I just always try and keep inlet and outlet next to one another to maintain a circular flow, and as I say, in my rock scape where I have a full tank height at the front, it seem to work well having the flow sweep along the front and up over the rocks.

Resident muppet more like... 🤪

Your suggestion offers the superior flow pattern @Wookii . Only thing that I would add is @Deano3 would have to keep his plants at a sensible height so they don’t directly get blown about and stressed. Letting growth get too long would also block flow from the outlet as well. That was the only reasoning for solely trying a move of just the inlet first.

With Dean’s outflow being a lily pipe compared to the flattened nozzle style in your tank Wookii, the flow will be relatively dispersed (possibly downwards) rather than concentrated outwards over the plants. As ever Dean it’s best to try these things out so you can see for yourself.

Thanks guys i will try it like this for few weeks see how it goes, seems to be ok flow around front right so see how it goes.

Thanks guys appreciate it
Dean

Hi everyone hope everyone is well and all set for Christmas quick update.

Currently treating for planeria i added the premade solution on saturday so want to give it a week tank has some bad staghorn currently what i am hoping to start treating and working hard to get rid of straight after this treatment.

Due to the white solution i added you can clearly see the staghorn and it looks rubbish currently, still wanting to upgrade to the oase 850t after xmas for bit extra flow.

Moved the inlet back to origional position as kept getting woken up by leaves blocking the inlet in middle of night and making a horrible slurping noise,i have however added eheim skim upsode down to add vit flow to rear, am gutted as off now so could have done more water changed but will after saturday as off till 2nd. Trying to just leave treatment to do its thing. Hoping more maintenece and excel and getting a load more amanos and ottos and cherries will help with algae as even when it turns purple doesnt seem to get eaten.

Thanks for reading and any input welcome
Dean
66a36d5f93a9c073775e7eb9a999735f.jpg
cb98cd0d35ef3fcb2c1b55a85c9fce02.jpg

That treatment does need a few days @Deano3 to work properly, definitely try to do the water change as soon as you can after the treatment time has passed though and probably a good idea to do a couple on the trot. I did 5 in 3 days, 80% ones. Just in case there was an ammonia spike from the planaria.
How do the fish seem? Their breathing rate increased or do they had red gills? My embers didn't like it very much.

That treatment does need a few days @Deano3 to work properly, definitely try to do the water change as soon as you can after the treatment time has passed though and probably a good idea to do a couple on the trot. I did 5 in 3 days, 80% ones. Just in case there was an ammonia spike from the planaria.
How do the fish seem? Their breathing rate increased or do they had red gills? My embers didn't like it very much.
Hi mate, the fish seem fine at the moment, the person who made ot up is very knowledgable indeed as says 7 days will be enought for the planaria and eggs so going to leave it for 7 days then work on getting rid of the staghorn.

Lowered lights to 50% for now. You got any other recomendations on the algae, hoping the extra flow will help also.

Dean

Wow been a long time since update, unfortunately i lost the rummy nose tetras with the treatment but since then tank been going great, i did lower the lights but today did a big maintenance session and upped lights to 70 percent again also did a trim but due to currently doing kitchen etc so no spare time for rescape at the minute so maybe match/april time .

All algae practically gone think was caused due to a dead otto i never relised was missing but foind a body under plants one maintenance session, i think this must have caused ammonia spike.

All the shrimp and ottos doong really well and keep seeing baby shrimp etc , keep feeding red pepper once ever so often leave in for 2-3 days then do same after a few day break so they are happy.

Anyway added sand again today as seen no more planaria thankfully since treatment and did large water change etc.

Dean
e7e98dbb5ed6a7ffbd09afb049dbd93c.jpg
d83b59b58d5e6170f0c1273af6eb5ea8.jpg
90194c453771628d6c251d06ec63751c.jpg

Not much to update really still one water change a week and very low maintenance with lights at 50 percent.

Purchased normal ista lily pipes as sick of aquascaper skimmer gurgling sometimes when in bed also currently using eheim skim 350 and Purchased a new top skimmer for it that doesnt let shrimp and fish get sucked in so dont need the aquascaper one.

Also added a load of bucephlandra from @Iain Sutherland thanks again .

Still no fish in there apart from ottos that i am feeding pepper and sometimes algae waffers.

Dean
4084550a0c7da3dee4eb4fb67cb06472.jpg
459010a5dd663f4d4e97acea9eb6dcde.jpg

Looking really good Dean. I like the scape, plants have filled in really nicely. Wish I could keep my sand that tidy 😔
What are you thinking stocking wise or are you holding on until your planned rescape?

Pleased it’s going well mate :)

Looking really good Dean. I like the scape, plants have filled in really nicely. Wish I could keep my sand that tidy
What are you thinking stocking wise or are you holding on until your planned rescape?
Thanks mate i just use 16/22 hose and hover 10mm or so above sand minding the shrimp to get the detritus off it mate and not sure current decorating house so no time for rescape so may get fish sooner.

I love green neons and also like harlequin rasboras maybe one of them
, green tetras shoul well what you think ? Numbers ?

Pleased it’s going well mate :)
Thanks mate, amazing how eventually a tank seems to just click and hit a sweet spot then seems to need barley no maintenance . Certainly not complaining .

I would like better colours so lights up to 60 percent but dont want to go to high as currently cant be bothered with regular trimming if you know what i mean as love the lower maintenance as so busy.

Dean

Back