• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going biotopish

The tank looks superb. The turbidity of the water does make it look really natural. I've read that the Biotope competition guys will often add a bit of powder or clay to the water before photographing to give it that feel and bring out the shafts of light through the water etc.

How did you create the aged/detritus covered look of the wood and plants? it make it look like a lake/river bed formed over years, not two weeks! Awesome stuff!
Thanks!

Yeah, it's a good way of making your aquarium look a bit more natural. Especially when you use LED spots or such, it mimics the light coming through the canopy. I use Fluval Aquasky 2.0 with all my three tanks, though, but it's a really nice LED light and works especially well for this tank. It's nowhere near what those biotope competition guys do, though. Some of those tanks are absolutely incredible.

The wood came along from the old tank, so that's why it's already covered in moss, detritus and algae. No idea how the moss got there, though. Guess something came along with other plants.

I absolutely love these tanks, I'd really like to see more similar setups. I'm about to embark on a rescape of a very deep tank. I'm feeling inspired and I'm wondering if I should consider something biotopish...

I absolutely love these tanks, I'd really like to see more similar setups. I'm about to embark on a rescape of a very deep tank. I'm feeling inspired and I'm wondering if I should consider something biotopish...
Ah, deep tanks are great! I had a deep tank, but I had to change to a longer tank. The only thing I struggled with, was that a deeper tank quickly looks overcrowded, because you see lots of fish in a smaller frame, if you get what I mean.

The options for a biotope are almost endless and you can be as precise as you want. What do you have in mind?

Ah, deep tanks are great! I had a deep tank, but I had to change to a longer tank. The only thing I struggled with, was that a deeper tank quickly looks overcrowded, because you see lots of fish in a smaller frame, if you get what I mean.

The options for a biotope are almost endless and you can be as precise as you want. What do you have in mind?

I wish I'd gone longer, but it was what I could fit in as a room divider... It's 36 long X 24 wide X 30 deep so about 400l. I know exactly what you mean about looking crowded with few fish inspire of alot of displacement. The other issue is flow, it's alot of water to keep moving.

Because the tank is wide I'm considering using very tall plans in the middle to divide it, hopefully making it less feel less busy. In addition I wanted to experiment with swimming levels, so I'm still trying to work out the right biotopish setup, I'm open to ideas! As much as I like being different an Amazon setup might be the easiest fit..

I wish I'd gone longer, but it was what I could fit in as a room divider... It's 36 long X 24 wide X 30 deep so about 400l. I know exactly what you mean about looking crowded with few fish inspire of alot of displacement. The other issue is flow, it's alot of water to keep moving.

Because the tank is wide I'm considering using very tall plans in the middle to divide it, hopefully making it less feel less busy. In addition I wanted to experiment with swimming levels, so I'm still trying to work out the right biotopish setup, I'm open to ideas! As much as I like being different an Amazon setup might be the easiest fit..
Ah yeah, an Amazon biotope gives you plenty of options. Lots of fish available throughout the year, as well. There's lots of blackwater rivers, but also clearwater rivers. Apistogramma species (and other dwarf cichlids) are wonderful fish to keep and pack lots of character.

I'd say have a look on the biotope contest website. There's some incredible setups over there and might inspire you, although they might be different biotopes. They have amazing ways of making a rather small tanks look much, much bigger.

Do you have any fish in mind you'd like to keep?

Jeff,

Beautiful tank and fish choice. aurantiacus are one of my favourite fish. My swamp monster referred to above is in the process of being taken down in anticipation of a house move. I’ll keep my schoutedeni puffers (would be a wonderful addition to your tank if you can find any) and a few killies d the rest of my fish are being given away to good homes or sold…

Jeff,

Beautiful tank and fish choice. aurantiacus are one of my favourite fish. My swamp monster referred to above is in the process of being taken down in anticipation of a house move. I’ll keep my schoutedeni puffers (would be a wonderful addition to your tank if you can find any) and a few killies d the rest of my fish are being given away to good homes or sold…
(Very) late reaction, sorry!

P. aurantiacus are indeed beautiful fish. I've gone a bit too far with new additions and purchased Phenacogrammus sp. Fantastique and Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus. Also beautiful fish.

Sad to hear you had to remove your fish. Any new plans for your monster tank?

Small update: I had trouble finding suitable tankmates for Microctenopoma ansorgii. They were only in a tank together with some ageing Nannaethiops unitaeniatus, but they'd bite at any new additions, costing me two Phenacogrammus sp. Fantastique. No biggie, they're cheap anyway...

I figured that if I would clear the tank and add the fish to another tank, they'd behave better. It was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out I took the right gamble and they all live happily together now.

I cleaned the tank anticipating on a new South-American biotope, but I caved in when I saw Neolebias ansorgii from Cameroon at the LFS.

They were small and very slim, so I'm feeding artemia nauplii for now. They are very active however and seem to adapt to their new home quite well, already battling out who's boss.

My camera had a bit of a struggle with the low light, so some pictures look more reddish and some more white. The dominant male has managed to avoid being pictured for now, but I'll be on the look out. (Dominant males of this colour morph almost turn black with red fins, a bit like dark Hyphessobrycon eylios, but with more character).

DSC_0859-01_copy_2176x1450.jpeg

DSC_0793-01_copy_2224x1482.jpeg

DSC_0745-01_copy_2058x1372.jpeg

DSC_0849-01-01_copy_2273x1515.jpeg

DSC_0736-01_copy_3000x2000.jpeg

For comparison, these are Neolebias ansorgii from DR Congo (Mayombe district). Seemingly different species, not only by colour, but also by the way they're built and behavior. Nonetheless, another beautiful colour morph.

DSC_0718-01_copy_2152x1435.jpeg

DSC_0716-01_copy_2091x1393.jpeg

DSC_0708-01_copy_2172x1447.jpeg

DSC_0687-01_copy_2223x1482.jpeg

The 'big' boss:
DSC_0677-01_copy_2234x1489.jpeg

DSC_0702-01_copy_2161x1440.jpeg

Excuse the excessive cyanobacteria. Been battling it on and off for about a year now, but I'm starting to win the war. One of the downsides of low light + RO water.

very beautiful little fish.
Thanks! They definitely are!

They’re lovely, if I had the space I would definitely have a 5foot Congo set up too. Some stunning characins available from that region now.
These Neolebias are in 100 cm tanks, but can also be kept in smaller tanks. The bigger characins do need their space, however. They're active fish from flowing streams. Easily startled too, because there's always predators lurking around in these streams.

The bigger characins do need their space, however.
Yeah I’m a big fan of phenacogrammus species but it’s a case of either South America or Congo at the moment not both and South America just about edges it for me.

Those neolobias are great though, never seen them looking that good in pictures before.

Yeah I’m a big fan of phenacogrammus species but it’s a case of either South America or Congo at the moment not both and South America just about edges it for me.

Those neolobias are great though, never seen them looking that good in pictures before.
Totally understand why someone would go for South America. I've mostly kept South American fish before making the switch. I'll do a SA tank in the future, no doubt. I had actually planned a SA tank before succumbing.

What fish are you planning to keep, btw? A biotope or a SA community tank?

These Neolebias really are hidden pearls. The ones from Congo steal to show with their colours, but the ones from Cameroon look incredible when flaring. They are also much stronger than any other characin I've seen before.

What fish are you planning to keep, btw? A biotope or a SA community tank?
I’m fully stocked now. It’s mostly new characins coming from Brazil, corydoras and the odd loricarid and cichlid. Trying to spawn some of the rarer tetras currently with some success.
These Neolebias really are hidden pearls.
Yeah they really are, they’d look great with pelvicachromis or nannochromis.

How do you find the care of the Congo species? Straight forward as long as they have soft water?

I’m fully stocked now. It’s mostly new characins coming from Brazil, corydoras and the odd loricarid and cichlid. Trying to spawn some of the rarer tetras currently with some success.

Yeah they really are, they’d look great with pelvicachromis or nannochromis.

How do you find the care of the Congo species? Straight forward as long as they have soft water?
Nice job on the spawning. Characins aren't easy to breed.

N. ansorgii are indeed found with Pelvicachromis species, but they breed like rabbits, so I'm passing on that. I'm probably going to buy Phractolaemus ansorgii, they're found in muddy pools in the same area. I'd love to find another small species to 'complete' the tank, but for now, I find the Neolebias entertaining enough and I'd love to see some fry showing up at some point.

Yeah, Congo species are very easy to keep. I used to keep them on 100% RO water, but after a cyanobacteria-outbreak I'm turning it down a notch to like 40/60. Soft and acidic water, but other than that, care is very easy. They take dried and frozen food right away.

They are quite skittish, though, but I have plans for a bigger tank that'd suit them better if we ever get to move to a new house.

Now that is one strange fish! Never seen them for sale before.
Definitely one of the oddest oddballs out there! I already have three in another tank. They are strange, almost prehistoric fish, but a lot of fun to watch.

sounds easy enough, will definitely have to give them a proper go one day.
Yeah, I found them stronger than SA or Asian fish. I have rarely lost a fish other than of old age (well, except that hot summer I lost a bunch of fish). They're definitely worth a shot and something else than most mainstream fish.

Back