• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Refills - Possibly a stupid question but...

mjenner

Hi Guys,

I've recently had to get a replacement 500g CO2 cylinder for my JBL ProFlora refillable CO2 kit after it ran out on me last week.

I went and bought a new one, but I've still got the old one which I want to use as a spare, is the thread on the JBL refillable regulator the same as a fire extinguisher and is it likely that an FE maintenance place would refill it? (before I go make myself sound stupid on the phone, thought I'd check with you guys first).

I think there's a place near Croydon according to the sticky at the top of the page, has anyone found anywhere closer to Surbiton or Guildford that'd do it?

As I'm away for a long period early next year, I was planning on getting the old one refilled in advance as a spare so it can be swapped out, rather than relying upon my fish-sitter to go and buy another one.

I'd like the idea of an FE, but my cabinet's too small, it only just fits the standard 500g bottle at the moment, and before anyone mentions sitting it by the tank, that's been ruled out by she-who-must-be-obeyed! :) (and I don't think it'd appeal to my sometimes neat-freakish nature as well)

The shop I got the cylinder from wasn't too expensive (£20), but I don't want loads of empty cylinders, it seems a waste and from what people are saying on here, it'd be about half the price to get it refilled (possibly less for a 500g cylinder as I think prices quoted were for 2kg FE's).

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Not a stupid question.

Sadly, disposable cylinders can't be refilled, and have a completely different fitting from a fire extinguisher. :(

Your council should be able to recycle the old cylinders through your recycling collection.

Mark

Hi Mark,

No, I'm 99% sure they're refillable, the question is will I be able to get them refilled locally? Or is it strictly a return to manufacturer thing as the new one (which was definitely refilled, paint has flecked off a bit, and the stamping on the test data on the cylinder indicates 2004 manufacture)?

They're the old grey solid cylinders with the valve at the top and the green metal guard over the valve at the top (black knob with Auf and Zu on it (german for open and closed)), the valves were sealed with a plastic pull off clip and the knob's zip-tied to the valve stem so it can't turn to open, I guess the green plastic seal would indicate being refilled by the supplier?

My Reg screws onto the valve when you pull off the plastic clip and seals with an o-ring in the reg.

When I get home I'll try and post a pic to show you what I mean.

The shop I went to initially made the same mistake and tried to sell me some cruddy white aerosol can type thing with a JBL label (kind of glad I went for the kit when it was on sale, I did if that's what JBL's moved to now, ick! :)).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is the connector standard on this type (I think it's compatible with Aquamedic kits as there were aquamedic bottles with the same connector, sealed in the same way (so I couldn't see the inside of the valve but the dimensions were identical)

If that's the case, would a FE maintenance company be able to refill it? and if so, does anyone know of a tame FE company near to Guildford or Surbiton or is Croydon the nearest one to try? :)

Cheers,

Matt

Sorry, didn't read your original post right!

The fittings should be the same a a fire extinguisher if they're not the disposable cylinders, but I doubt that a fire extinguisher shop would fill them - there are lots of regulations around fire extinguishers, and a lot of places won't even refill fire extinguishers that weren't bought from them.

A few aquarium shops offer the service, and you might try welders as well.

So, apologies for answering the wrong question, and good luck finding a local place (do a search on the forum for the 'Where to buy' threads).

Mark

hi,
when your cylinder is empty you can normally take it back to the shop and swap it for a full one,they charge £10-£15.
my jbl reg was a bit tight going on an fe the first time but ok since.other people here have not had problems though.
neil

Hi Mark,

Cheers for that, I had a feeling the thread would be the same for FE's and the mini bottles. I'll check with the Croydon contact in the sticky at the top of the CO2 section, but good tip on the welding supplies idea, I didn't think of that, that reminds me, one of my friends parents runs an engineering company, might have a contact for CO2 cylinders! (they also happen to make high-pressure hose testing equipment, hmm... I can see the beginnings of a plan forming, might contact them and see if they might be able to help! :D)

Hi Nelson,

Yep, although that's a bit steep considering the volume of CO2, especially seeing how much it costs from a welding supplier! (just looking at the 600g disposable bottles now!). In these more cost-conscious times, I thought it prudent to explore all the options :). An FE might be an option if I can find one dumpy enough to fit in inside my cabinet next to the filter, I'll have to have a think.

At least now I've got two (I managed to buy one without being asked to swap the cylinder). Worst case scenario I can get the other one swapped out whilst having one running if I can't find anywhere more reasonably priced :)

Thanks Guys,

Matt

Hi mate, I have plenty of FEs, the dumpy ones are wider so if floor space in the cabinet is limited then a taller one might be better. The taller ones sit at around 650mm high and the dumpy ones about 550mm. Let me know if you decide to take this route and i should be able to sort you out.

Back