• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does anyone have an indoor carnivorous plant garden?

Does the Paludarium help with humidity
If it's open-top it doesn't help that much with humidity. But this could be different from house to house and room to room and depending on the plants you like to grow. Thus there are no 2 the same...

for example, I remember an ADA aquascape growing Bolbitis emerged from the wood in the tank. But I guess that was in a room with a load of other open-top scapes having enough air humidity. A single tank in a room with sufficient ventilation never really gets enough to grow sensitive bog plants emerged.
Then geographical location plays a factor too, in the Northern hemisphere, the winters are quite dark and cool, I have a number of plants that suffer significantly during this periode. One of them is Hydrocotyl sp. it thrives and flowers emerged in the summer and after that most of it withers away again but comes back each summer again. This is more of a light issue than a humidity issue, my lights above the Paludarium are not up to it to keep it healthy all year long.

Yet the only carnivore I seem to be successful with is a Pinguicula that also suffers a bit during the winter, the rest that I tried till now mainly several Utricularia sp. never were a long term success. And then I have to guess, light or too mineral-rich substrate because I need to use tap water that I need to fertilize it now and then for the non-carnivorous plants?

or is it to enable a gradient?

I am not sure what you mean by this question, language barrier?

By
If it's open-top it doesn't help that much with humidity. But this could be different from house to house and room to room and depending on the plants you like to grow. Thus there are no 2 the same...

for example, I remember an ADA aquascape growing Bolbitis emerged from the wood in the tank. But I guess that was in a room with a load of other open-top scapes having enough air humidity. A single tank in a room with sufficient ventilation never really gets enough to grow sensitive bog plants emerged.
Then geographical location plays a factor too, in the Northern hemisphere, the winters are quite dark and cool, I have a number of plants that suffer significantly during this periode. One of them is Hydrocotyl sp. it thrives and flowers emerged in the summer and after that most of it withers away again but comes back each summer again. This is more of a light issue than a humidity issue, my lights above the Paludarium are not up to it to keep it healthy all year long.

Yet the only carnivore I seem to be successful with is a Pinguicula that also suffers a bit during the winter, the rest that I tried till now mainly several Utricularia sp. never were a long term success. And then I have to guess, light or too mineral-rich substrate because I need to use tap water that I need to fertilize it now and then for the non-carnivorous plants?

I am not sure what you mean by this question, language barrier?
By gradient I mean a slope 😀

By

By gradient I mean a slope 😀

That is indeed how it kinda translates but since it's a synonym that can have a slightly different meaning depending on the context it is used in kinda threw me off. :) In my native language, we solely use the word Gradient theoretically as an inclining vector. For example, my house is on top of a hill and the street leading to has a course of inclination of 11%, and that is the gradient of the slope. Since English is not my native language I sometimes have to guess in what context to place a used word that translates with different meanings.

But yes, the whole terminology in our hobby with Terrarium, Aquarium, Riparium and or Paludarium is rather misleading in what is what and when what becomes this or that? Aqua is water, Terra is Land or Earth and Palus is Bog or Swamp, and Ripa is River. And the suffix Arium is Living space.

While building it I had a piece of Jungle in mind with a Creek in it transcending into a Bog area on the other side.
Naamloos.jpg

It is sliced in all 4 possible Ariums and I didn't know what it actually is or how to call it... I settled for Paludarium because I had to name it something. :)

Last edited:
That is indeed how it kinda translates but since it's a synonym that can have a slightly different meaning depending on the context it is used in kinda threw me off. :) In my native language, we solely use the word Gradient theoretically as an inclining vector. For example, my house is on top of a hill and the street leading to has a course of inclination of 11%, and that is the gradient of the slope. Since English is not my native language I sometimes have to guess in what context to place a used word that translates with different meanings.

But yes, the whole terminology in our hobby with Terrarium, Aquarium, Riparium and or Paludarium is rather misleading in what is what and when what becomes this or that? Aqua is water, Terra is Land or Earth and Palus is Bog or Swamp, and Ripa is River. And the suffix Arium is Living space.

While building it I had a piece of Jungle in mind with a Creek in it transcending into a Bog area on the other side.
View attachment 174190
It is sliced in all 4 possible Ariums and I didn't know what it actually is or how to call it... I settled for Paludarium because I had to name it something. :)
Paluterripaqarium, you heard it here first 😂

Back