• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resting periods for different Nymphaea species

johnnypy

Can anyone tell me how long the resting periods for the commonly available Nymphaea species will be? I'm growing N.zenkeri which is going strong after 9 months and appears to have produced new offsets. N. stellata seems to grow very vigorously for a few months and then rest for a few months. I am trying N. micrantha which grew very large but has died back for more than 4 months - the bulb seems fine.

I leave them all in the tank all the time and always remove floating leaves. Should they be dried out. Is there any way of 'tricking' them into a shorter resting phase?

Do tropical lillies have resting periods ? I would imagine that if they're grown in lakes that have dry periods, they'd die down or if the weather got colder like in northern Europe but i've grown tropical lillies for many years and never known them to naturally die back....same with Aponogeton species.

And to tell you the truth, im not sure i'd want to uproot them with the root system they chuck out in a short amount of time....they'd make a hell of a mess !!!

Andy

Back