• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

H2O2 and Fe

H..

I have been thinking for a while now about whether it could be that Fe in the micronutrient is destroyed by hydrogen peroxide H2O2. I think the aquarium has poor growth shortly after a water change and nutrient addition.

Is it known if the chelate in Fe (DTEA) is destroyed by H2O2 addition?

aims for 20-30ppm CO2 and gives 0.1ppm Fe per week.
KNO3 --- 5ppm
P --- 0.5ppm
K2SO4 --- 5 ppm
200 liters and 108 watt fluorescent lamps
It is a bucephalandra tank with only slowgrowers

H

OK. I supose it is not known how hydrogen peroxide interact with the chelators in Fe, due to no answer and hundred views on the thread.

Must be something else spooky in the tank now...

H

Hi all,
I supose it is not known how hydrogen peroxide interact with the chelators in Fe, due to no answer and hundred views on the thread.
I'd guess that it would oxidise the chelator and subsequently any iron ions (Fe++(+)) that were liberated, but I couldn't find a reference that explicitly stated that.

cheers Darrel

There is a very well defined chemisty between free Fe and peroxide called the Fenton reaction whereby Fe2+ is oxidized by the peroxide to Fe3+ with the concommitant production of oxygen-based free radicals. Fe chelated with EDTA is already in the oxidised Fe3+ state so I wouldn't expect the peroxide to do anything further to the iron atom itself. That all said, I would actively chose to NOT add peroxide to an aquarium... are you doing that and if so why?

Thanks all for replyes. Apreciated.

I was struggling with some algea issues a month ago, so I started adding H2O2 in an oxydator with continius peroxide release 24/7.
Some week later I see my stemplant (Limnof aromatica ) stunned of a bit, and plants are not bubbling like they used to.

So I suspected the Fe did not reach the plants as usual.
I still have some algea issues but only green fuzz algea I think its named.

H

This study is worth a read although it has to be pointed out that experimentation was carried out at a pH of 8.4 which is well above the half-life pH for both EDTA and DTPA.

Importance of Iron Complexation for Fenton-Mediated Hydroxyl Radical Production at Circumneutral pH

If your worried about the presence of peroxide dropping out the Iron from EDTA then you could supplement with extra DTPA to negate the effect somewhat and increase the long term availability of the Iron overall.

:)
Thanks x3nith. That was some heavy reading, and my english reading cant handle the technicalities.

I just started to dose 2-3 times a week with Fe, so the plants will have Fe available.

Hi @H.. Where is this hydrogen peroxide coming from? Interaction or are you using it to spot treat for algae (BGA) perhaps ? You could supplement with a different Fe compound as @X3NiTH points out...a DTPA based compound or Seachem Flourish Iron which is Iron Gluconate.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks Michael.
My Fe uses DTEA, but I will have to look what my other nutrients are using as chelator.
But perhaps when my algea issues are reducing, I will take away the oxydator.

H

There is a very well defined chemisty between free Fe and peroxide called the Fenton reaction whereby Fe2+ is oxidized by the peroxide to Fe3+ with the concommitant production of oxygen-based free radicals. Fe chelated with EDTA is already in the oxidised Fe3+ state so I wouldn't expect the peroxide to do anything further to the iron atom itself. That all said, I would actively chose to NOT add peroxide to an aquarium... are you doing that and if so why?
Thanks Andy. Peroxide was used for algea issue. And I wont use it permanently, just for my issue.

H

Back