• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Volume instead of weight?

I’ll need to mix up some all in one solution soon but my scales are broken. Is there a recipe that uses teaspoons or fractions thereof? My problem is that I don’t need to make up any more than a litre and that will last ages!

I’ll need to mix up some all in one solution soon but my scales are broken. Is there a recipe that uses teaspoons or fractions thereof? My problem is that I don’t need to make up any more than a litre and that will last ages!
Hello,
One teaspoon of nutrients weighs approximately 6 grams. The weights obviously vary for each nutrient, but this is a fair approximation.

Cheers,

Like @ceg4048 posted is good enough. Having spent many an hour making the IFC calculator with @Hanuman ( which was a great challenge and fun for us both) we was able to give precise masses of each salt to reach specific ppms targets for each nutrient. However as long as the nutrients are in abundance is all that matters and 5 to 6 grams per teaspoon of any salt is close enough.

It depends on who you're asking and whether its for culinary or medicinal applications, some claims the "standard" US teaspoon is ~5.9g other claim ~4.2g some claims the "standard" Imperial/UK teaspoon is ~4.2g while other says 3.55g.
This span is large enough to amount to something :) ... I'd say use Grams (g) or Milliliters (ml). A decent digital milligram scale cost $15.

Just for the heck of it I just weighted out a teaspoon of MgSO4 using "my preferred US teaspoon" and it came out at 5.48g... :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Yes you’re quite right. I always consider a “teaspoon” as a standardised NHS 5ml (used for medication) and use a 5ml measure. For other purposes though it seems it can be anywhere from 4 to 7ml which isn’t helpful.

Back