• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who needs plants, anyway!?

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I'm trying marine soon too... :D

pairespei.jpg

I have a lovely 18" cube sitting in my shed...all drilled for a sump just waiting for that time to set up a nano reef. Kept reefs for over 20 years but the allure of the planted tank made me give up.

Good luck

Joecoral said:
Nice shot, looks great George! Like the naturalness of it :D
Thanks mate!

I'm really getting into the biotope thing. They'll always be a special place in my heart with regards growing and aquascaping with plants but it's also rewarding to see fish in what appears to mimic they're natural habitat a little more closely.

What's also very rewarding is the steep learning curve I'm on right now. I've learnt more about the country of Cambodia today than I ever did in geography. lol

The marine thing is a few months away yet. Thanks for the offer of advice.

aaronnorth said:
That tank looks nice too
Thanks mate!

andy said:
I have a lovely 18" cube sitting in my shed...all drilled for a sump just waiting for that time to set up a nano reef. Kept reefs for over 20 years but the allure of the planted tank made me give up.

Good luck
Thanks, Andy. I wonder how many switch from marine to planted and vice-versa? Interesting. I know there's plenty of guys that do both too, of course.

It's an awesome hobby, whatever your taste... :D

George Farmer said:
andy said:

Good luck
Thanks, Andy. I wonder how many switch from marine to planted and vice-versa? Interesting. I know there's plenty of guys that do both too, of course.

It's an awesome hobby, whatever your taste... :D

well i started off with trops 35 years ago and went into marines. But i'd always had this compulsion to breed Siamese fighting fish (which i did very successfully last year) and to just buy nice tropical fish and plants. So i packed the reef in and i love my planted tank.

As i said, i'll definately set up a nano with just a breeding pair of emperor cardinals or Pearly jawfish in.

I've got 2 ponds too....goldfish pond and a 3,000 gallon koi pond. Who said this hobby was an obsession !!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I thought I wanted marine until I stumbled across photographs of planted tanks.

The colours and textures in that shot are superb.

George Farmer:

Ex Aquatic Plant Guru.

:) Stunning, and as always, a small glimpse of what will look even better as a full shot!

Hi George,sorry my friend but at the moment that just does not do it for me,i realise that the amazon, as one example looks like this and this is the natural habitat what most of the fish are used to (if wild caught) ,if you where actually in the amazon on a field trip then superb to see it as it realy is,but in my front room i like my setup to look a bit more tastefull,its very rare to get any wild caught fish these days and most are far removed from there natural habitat,BUT by the same token if someone wants to create a biotope of some far flung continent then there is no harm in that afterall it can be nice to see but it just doesnt do it for me,

regards john.

Good point, John!

Don't get me wrong - I couldn't live with this style of tank long-term per se. I'm more excited about the learning experiences than the aesthetics right now.

It's interesting, as I'm sure as I attempt more biotopes - non-planted, fully planted, marine, brackish, temperate UK etc. I'll gather new ideas and techniques that I can take forward to my big long-term project I have planned for my living room....

Cheers, all!

f/1.0 eh?.... ;) who's showing off now then....great depth mate.

but iso 400?....1/400 ? surely with that speed George you could muster up a shot with iso 100? 8)

JamesM said:
I agree to some extent, but only because I have a small house and would rather have a planted tank. I'd love something like this in the office though.

Hi James,now a biotope tank of austrlian rainbow fish would look good plants and all,
regards john.

JamesM said:
Totally, but I have a thing for the dark and miserable too :lol: I thinking of a dark gloomy scape with some blind cave fish...

Thats funny :lol: :lol: regards john.

George Farmer said:
Good point, John!

Don't get me wrong - I couldn't live with this style of tank long-term per se. I'm more excited about the learning experiences than the aesthetics right now.

It's interesting, as I'm sure as I attempt more biotopes - non-planted, fully planted, marine, brackish, temperate UK etc. I'll gather new ideas and techniques that I can take forward to my big long-term project I have planned for my living room....

Cheers, all!

Hi George,i see your point about the learning curve knowledge is good, and i am still looking forward to seeing and reading about what you come up with,where you find the time i just dont know,cudos mate,
regards john.

is this a Sumatran black water scape? There's some really good photos on a nature blog I used to read if so, I'll try and find the link on the old history lists.
I can't wait for the marine one, never have liked marine tanks, would be good to see what someone "fresh" (see what I did there? :rolleyes: :lol: ) tries one.

If the layout is aesthetically pleasing then, plants or no plants, it is still aquascaping and can still look amazing :)

Back