• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Member - York, UK

KiraQ

Seedling
Hi there.

I am a woman in her 60s who has been retired for just over 3 years now and getting somewhat bored with my life with the amount of time I spend watching YouTube videos on gardening and house plant care & propagation and not doing half enough creativity other than having a kitchen almost full of propagated houseplants in compost and a small garden full of easy to grow veg, fruit and decorative shrubs.

I have ventured into propagating houseplants in water for a while but the amount of variation and the time it takes for a new plant to materialise makes it all somewhat tedious and so I have begun to watch YT videos in creating semi-aquatic and aquatic plant-scapes - I am not confident I could go beyond this to include fauna at this stage. As a result, I have been watching a few channels, including Serpa Design and MD Fish Tanks and I feel able to enter the shallow end of creating an aquascape or 2 being blessed with more time than most.

I fell upon this forum after watching a lovely video on creating a Wabi-Kusa presentation which seems to be a baby-steps way of getting into this interesting pastime, though you might say there is something a lot easier to start with of course since on this subject, I am currently as dim as the proverbial Toc H lamp.

Living on just my state pension, I want to be able to create these beautiful and hopefully survivable concoctions on a limited budget, something the lad at Serpa Designs seems to address quite often in his videos.

So, that is why I am here and so any tips or links to get me started will be greatly appreciated.

Hugs from York

Kira

Welcome Kira to the UKaps!
Nice introduction, have a read at the various articles below if you haven't done so!
hoggie

Welcome to UKAPS and thanks for the intro! :) Yes, there are definitely options for all levels of budgets in this hobby - especially if you care to shop for good 2nd hand equipment. That can get you started without breaking the bank.

Cheers,
Michael

Welcome. I only have a 30l plant only tank, At that size it is quite cheap to run, but initial setup from new is the expensive bit £100 - £150. There are lots of deals out there for second hand tanks that people have got bored of. You can always post a pic and details on here of any second hand tanks and the people will tell you if it is a good price.

Usually some good deals on Facebook market. Might take a while to find something suitable and local, but sounds like you have time on your side.

Hi @KiraQ

What a lovely introduction you have given us!
I have ventured into propagating houseplants in water...
Therefore, making the transition to aquatic gardening seems like a logical next step. There's plenty of reading material here on UKAPS. So, have a jolly good look around.
Hugs from York
Ah, York. One of my favourite places. I'm originally from the Huddersfield area.

It's nice to have you on board. Enjoy the journey!

JPC

Back