• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

700l labour of love

The amanos will carry the balls of soil onto the sand. I've witnessed them do it multiple times back in my first scape.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ itā€™s like having kidsā€¦training them to take it back could be a challenge! šŸ˜‚ There could be a niche market for that I reckon! šŸ˜‰

Soā€¦.4 weeks in.

Co2 regulator packed up again so a 5 day wait for a replacement now. Hoping the plants will forgive me.

All this on again, off again is far from ideal but keeping lights low and hoping things donā€™t suffer too much.

Popped my Albida browns and a few more AR mini in, along with a Crypt flamingo and have some more weeping moss to add on next WC.

Wood fluff seems to be slowly reducing, and the diatoms are even less now. Could be time passing or maybe busy amanoā€™s

Pretty much all the melting Buce are producing new leaves and things are growing so generally i think we are looking good.

Keeping up with WCā€™s twice per week and thinking Iā€™ll continue that until the Buce are all clean.

Lights still at 40/50% and still no algae šŸ¤ž

F111FEAC-2029-4424-B629-3C00350A363B.jpeg 7A9DF7E4-06DD-4E49-A679-7BFA7600B82F.jpeg
666DCA04-D75B-4B6F-9FB7-2B520AA91077.jpeg 6619E3F0-A9FB-4BBE-A11A-ECA3042E0FA4.jpeg 2B098FA9-175F-4904-9FD3-A725A4C3CB09.jpeg B4A57243-F7BD-49E5-875F-FC4A1FD183E8.jpeg

Still havenā€™t put the lid on. šŸ˜‚

Merry Xmas to all. šŸŽ„ šŸ˜Š

6 weeks in now and there have been a few changes.

Finally got the replacement regulator a week ago and pleased to say it is doing everything it is supposed to, so thatā€™s a relief. Now dialling in (again) albeit it very carefully, as I now have some fishes.

Re-tested off-gassed water and found tap to be at 7.4ph as expected but tank was 7.5ph. Samples were both floated in open top bottles so tested at tank temperature. With aquasoil and wood in the tank, if anything, I would have expected tank ph to be lower than tap. Rock maybe having an impact??

Either way this now gives a ph target of 6.5ph at lights on. I currently have a steady 6.7ph throughout photo period and drop checkers are a fairly good green. Tweaked up very slightly today and will continue to monitor.

I have increased photo period from 6hrs (plus 30 min ramp up/ramp down) to 7hrs, mainly for the benefit of fishes as the room gets very little light otherwise. Still at 40-50% lighting and not planning to play with this until that Co2 has been stable for a while.

I have, however, added a little aquasky LED that I had knocking around, at the front middle of the tank to get a little more light across the front of the wood centrepiece. Much more pleasing to the eye now.

Iā€™ve also re-plumbed. Having previously had all the flow running right to left across the tank, this resulted in pretty strong flow at one end to get some gentle sway at the other. Had good drop checker colour (on the occasions the Co2 was working) and plants seemed to be ok with this but the new fishes, not so much. A couple of buffetings in that strong flow and they all took up residence up the quiet end!

I therefore now have a canister at each end with inlet and outlet in the back corners. Outlets are running through a short spray bar ( in-line reactor on each) on the back of the tank and I have placed a gyre on the back next to each spray bar directed to front of tank and reduced their outputs. I would have expected this to leave me a dead spot in the middle but am still seeing some gentle movement there, so hoping the distribution is ok. Not aesthetically pleasing as the gyres are now horribly obvious but Iā€™m just looking at the happy fish and trying to un-see them. šŸ˜

5312E2BB-C35F-4FCB-8953-4D3FE8C9A96B.jpeg

Iā€™ll monitor my Co2 tweak for the next couple of days and then plan to move the drop checkers to front middle and back middle to see what that tells me. Probably still have room to tweak the gyres up a little if needed.

The fishes, however, are now merrily using the whole of the tank so they are pleased with the change at least.

Iā€™ve also noticed the algae below on one of my anubias. Any help to ID would be good, as Iā€™m not great at it, but it doesnā€™t wipe off under gentle finger pressure. Could be early staghorn maybe? Considering the flow changes and regulator issues, this is probably not too much of a surprise, but Iā€™ve just added some SAEā€™s which I hope will tidy things up whilst the tank re-settles.

032FC544-6367-46FF-BE17-6A89ED6A5AD1.jpeg

Lastly, Iā€™ve noted that my PH just before gas on is sitting at 7.2ph, which would imply that the tank is not fully off-gassing overnight. Is this more usual when using reactors as Co2 is more dissolved or would this indicate that I would benefit from more surface agitation? Iā€™ve got a good strong ripple over 2/3rds of the surface but the middle 1/3rd is pretty much flat.

Growth is not super fast compared to some (probably due to the lower light) but things are starting to fill out.

Fauna now consists of 22 cardinal tetra, 12 ottoā€™s, 3 SAE and 10 Amanoā€™s.

D99B0FF7-F9EA-495A-899C-483DAEEAC7FB.jpeg
A1B56C3E-DF8E-41E7-90A8-11530A4976F2.jpeg
F72F208F-1F8E-40EB-8704-6B476D2E9648.jpeg

Attachments

• 54436D5E-C9C4-491A-B23A-E085A09FE9AF.jpeg
    54436D5E-C9C4-491A-B23A-E085A09FE9AF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 7AD0387D-DBB6-4908-81D5-4BC74CD0C57E.jpeg
    7AD0387D-DBB6-4908-81D5-4BC74CD0C57E.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 129
  • 28F11FAB-1E59-4D71-B71A-F2EF3F29741C.jpeg
    28F11FAB-1E59-4D71-B71A-F2EF3F29741C.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 6A7C21CE-F3A9-4B69-BCAF-0E23B892FA10.jpeg
    6A7C21CE-F3A9-4B69-BCAF-0E23B892FA10.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 51CA9080-DBEF-4D6F-BCDA-ACFBAD5D105F.jpeg
    51CA9080-DBEF-4D6F-BCDA-ACFBAD5D105F.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1952B1F7-D96E-4C9B-81F5-60919D03538E.jpeg
    1952B1F7-D96E-4C9B-81F5-60919D03538E.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 123
Please ignore the repeat photoā€™s at the bottom. Phone was getting hinky and I didnā€™t think these had attached. šŸ˜‚

How are you finding the gyres in terms of flow coverage kirsty. I've been looking at one myself as I only have two central outlets from my sump.

Hi There

Is this for your L150 Lā€™aquarium by chance?

I did a quick search and found some picciā€™s on your journal (havenā€™t read it through yet but your hardscaping was lovely šŸ˜Š) so, iā€™m assuming this is the one.

It looks like you may be pretty much committed to a forward flow.

I believe for a 5ft tank the gyre would certainly give you adequate flow if set up across the long axis of the tank but the forward flow from your central pipes would then interrupt this and cause disruption that you would probably want to avoid. If set up on the back of the tank, facing forward, a gyre would complement your existing flow pattern but with only one gyre you would need to pick one side or the other and flow would be uneven. 2 gyres (one each side) would give you the ideal flow pattern but they will then be hugely overpowered for what you need.

You can dial them down of course, so the world is your oyster really, but itā€™s a fair bit of money to spend. You would likely not exceed 10 - 20% max before the flow would become too turbulent.

Iā€™ve just re-configured my flow from long axis to ā€˜front to backā€™ and I donā€™t expect to use more than 20%, even with the tank being a little higher and deeper than yours. (They basically act like spray bar replacements as my canisters are not powerful enough to operate longer spray bars effectively)

If your flow isnā€™t giving you enough spread, is there any way you could turn your outlets 90 degrees sideways and attach a spray bar to each one? (Guessing this may be tricky on those outlets)

If this is feasible and your sump pump can deliver enough flow, you would effectively be creating something similar to the front to back gyre flow pattern but at a fraction of the cost. Failing all else (even if you can cobble something together cheaply thatā€™s not very pretty) it would allow you to asses how that pattern works in your tank and you could then decide whether to upgrade to a prettier version (possibly even with a stronger pump if you needed it) or to invest in the gyres (or similar) as a tidier solution.

Just my thoughts! šŸ˜Š

Update, mostly just for my own reference. 7 weeks in. Co2 still stable.

Spots on Anubias and Alternanthera. Advised by @John q its likely GSA. Upping P to 6ppm from 3ppm from tomorrow (Water change today) and will monitor.

Distorted leaves on Alternanthera trimmed off as per advice from @GHNelson.

D7A21F51-BECB-4AFD-906E-4E98366E9E24.jpeg
90399327-8271-41CE-99D4-32F9DC577924.jpeg
34EBF9A0-BE79-4A8B-AD00-606B9EECEC0A.jpeg

Suspected Staghorn on Anubias pretty much clear. No sign of any new.

New crypts from @aec34 have been in for a week, all settling down, no sign of melt so far. New Salvinia also still nice and green.

30 Celestial Pearl Danio added today. Surprised at how ā€˜out and aboutā€™ they were straight away (they could teach the, still very shy, comparatively huge, SAEā€™s a thing or two šŸ˜‚) Live baby brine shrimp ready to feed tomorrow. Letā€™s hope they like ā€˜em.

Hi There

Is this for your L150 Lā€™aquarium by chance?

I did a quick search and found some picciā€™s on your journal (havenā€™t read it through yet but your hardscaping was lovely šŸ˜Š) so, iā€™m assuming this is the one.

It looks like you may be pretty much committed to a forward flow.

I believe for a 5ft tank the gyre would certainly give you adequate flow if set up across the long axis of the tank but the forward flow from your central pipes would then interrupt this and cause disruption that you would probably want to avoid. If set up on the back of the tank, facing forward, a gyre would complement your existing flow pattern but with only one gyre you would need to pick one side or the other and flow would be uneven. 2 gyres (one each side) would give you the ideal flow pattern but they will then be hugely overpowered for what you need.

You can dial them down of course, so the world is your oyster really, but itā€™s a fair bit of money to spend. You would likely not exceed 10 - 20% max before the flow would become too turbulent.

Iā€™ve just re-configured my flow from long axis to ā€˜front to backā€™ and I donā€™t expect to use more than 20%, even with the tank being a little higher and deeper than yours. (They basically act like spray bar replacements as my canisters are not powerful enough to operate longer spray bars effectively)

If your flow isnā€™t giving you enough spread, is there any way you could turn your outlets 90 degrees sideways and attach a spray bar to each one? (Guessing this may be tricky on those outlets)

If this is feasible and your sump pump can deliver enough flow, you would effectively be creating something similar to the front to back gyre flow pattern but at a fraction of the cost. Failing all else (even if you can cobble something together cheaply thatā€™s not very pretty) it would allow you to asses how that pattern works in your tank and you could then decide whether to upgrade to a prettier version (possibly even with a stronger pump if you needed it) or to invest in the gyres (or similar) as a tidier solution.

Just my thoughts! šŸ˜Š
Hiya Kirsty,

Thanks ya for your reply. I didn't get a notification for this, odd. But, yes it's for the l'aquarium 720.

My thinking was to attach the wavemaker attachments onto the outlets, which would drastically soften flow, the pump in a 10,000 lph but fully controllable, and was thinking to maybe knock it down a fair wee bit, as its effectively just feeding the water flowing from my co2 reactor. It's torrid flow otherwise and I don't think fauna would fair well being blown around that much.

I did actually give spray bar ideas a thought, would be something I could knock up once I'd worked out how many holes per bar I'd need. However I do like the options that come with the gyres, and my main idea was purely for very long spaced timing of a nice pulse so it would give the lower hard to reach areas a waft and be off later in the evening and night.

Will see how it goes but thank you so much

Update, mostly just for my own reference. 7 weeks in. Co2 still stable.

Spots on Anubias and Alternanthera. Advised by @John q its likely GSA. Upping P to 6ppm from 3ppm from tomorrow (Water change today) and will monitor.

Distorted leaves on Alternanthera trimmed off as per advice from @GHNelson.

View attachment 180028
View attachment 180029
View attachment 180030

Suspected Staghorn on Anubias pretty much clear. No sign of any new.

New crypts from @aec34 have been in for a week, all settling down, no sign of melt so far. New Salvinia also still nice and green.

30 Celestial Pearl Danio added today. Surprised at how ā€˜out and aboutā€™ they were straight away (they could teach the, still very shy, comparatively huge, SAEā€™s a thing or two šŸ˜‚) Live baby brine shrimp ready to feed tomorrow. Letā€™s hope they like ā€˜em.
Such beautfil fish these are, must look magnificent as a shoal

Hiya Kirsty,

Thanks ya for your reply. I didn't get a notification for this, odd. But, yes it's for the l'aquarium 720.

My thinking was to attach the wavemaker attachments onto the outlets, which would drastically soften flow, the pump in a 10,000 lph but fully controllable, and was thinking to maybe knock it down a fair wee bit, as its effectively just feeding the water flowing from my co2 reactor. It's torrid flow otherwise and I don't think fauna would fair well being blown around that much.

I did actually give spray bar ideas a thought, would be something I could knock up once I'd worked out how many holes per bar I'd need. However I do like the options that come with the gyres, and my main idea was purely for very long spaced timing of a nice pulse so it would give the lower hard to reach areas a waft and be off later in the evening and night.

Will see how it goes but thank you so much

I might be misunderstanding your explanation here as the gyres are fully independent and donā€™t ā€˜attachā€™ to anything (other than the power cable and the control box)

You would, however be able to use them to increase circulation/distribution in the tank and reduce the output of your sump pump if itā€™s a bit wild.

I only have 3000lt ph (rated) going through my canisters for the purpose of filtration etc (4 - 4.5 x water volume) and we all know that rated isnā€™t actual, so it will be less than that. The remaining in-tank ā€˜flowā€™ is just water being moved around by gyres.

Note: I am a believer, however, that, in a planted tank, less biofiltration is needed (as the whole system effectively does this) and the lower turnover still provides adequate mechanical filtration as long as maintenance is good.

The gyres would, however, definitely give you flexibility in your flow rates so you can get that Co2 into the tough to reach places and use neat little tricks like increasing flow for a while after a good clean up, to keep detritus suspended whilst your sump clears it out etc. šŸ˜Š

Such beautfil fish these are, must look magnificent as a shoal

They are little stunners.šŸ˜Š
At the moment shoaling is definitely a bit of a misnomer though. Iā€™ve got a fair few hanging out amongst my central stems but can see individuals literally from one end of the tank to the other so they are more independent than I was expecting.

First feeding time shortly so hoping they will all swim in for snacks.

I might be misunderstanding your explanation here as the gyres are fully independent and donā€™t ā€˜attachā€™ to anything (other than the power cable and the control box)

You would, however be able to use them to increase circulation/distribution in the tank and reduce the output of your sump pump if itā€™s a bit wild.

I only have 3000lt ph (rated) going through my canisters for the purpose of filtration etc (4 - 4.5 x water volume) and we all know that rated isnā€™t actual, so it will be less than that. The remaining in-tank ā€˜flowā€™ is just water being moved around by gyres.

Note: I am a believer, however, that, in a planted tank, less biofiltration is needed (as the whole system effectively does this) and the lower turnover still provides adequate mechanical filtration as long as maintenance is good.

The gyres would, however, definitely give you flexibility in your flow rates so you can get that Co2 into the tough to reach places and use neat little tricks like increasing flow for a while after a good clean up, to keep detritus suspended whilst your sump clears it out etc. šŸ˜Š
Oh sorry, I was referring to attachments that came with the tank itself. Little impellors inside them that act like a mini wavemaker haha šŸ˜Š

However I do like the options that come with the gyres, and my main idea was purely for very long spaced timing of a nice pulse so it would give the lower hard to reach areas a waft and be off later in the evening and night.
Hi,
I don't know how much you know about the Gyres but they can be disassembled and reconstructed to give a multitude of configurations, along with the power options I'm sure with a bit of experimentation you will be able find an ideal flow pattern.
Cheers!

Ive been meaning to comment on this journal and your skills, you almost seem to have sprouted out of the ground a fully formed expert aquarist which is very impressive and also very unfair to some of us who have been sucking at this for a long time šŸ˜‚šŸ˜
Love your tank and everything you bring to the forum, looking forward to the next full tank shot especially šŸ˜„

Ive been meaning to comment on this journal and your skills, you almost seem to have sprouted out of the ground a fully formed expert aquarist which is very impressive and also very unfair to some of us who have been sucking at this for a long time šŸ˜‚šŸ˜
Love your tank and everything you bring to the forum, looking forward to the next full tank shot especially šŸ˜„

Wow, thank you so much, thatā€™s a lovely thing to say, although IMO I have a looong way to go.

My first words on the journal were ā€˜itā€™s been a long time in the dreamingā€™, Thereā€™s been lots of reading, lots of research and a couple of historic low light, low tech, didnā€™t really know what I was doing tanks. So if Iā€™ve picked up anything, it is no small part down to the all the lovely folks on this forum. Iā€™ve been reading on and off for near two years before joining, whilst I was without a tank, but planning this one.

My journey of practical experience has, I think, just begun. šŸ˜Š

Back