• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green filamentous algae

mario

Hello I am experiencing problems with what I think is green filamentous algae in this tank ;
I did a big trim to improve circulation, tried to remove as much as possible of the algae manually and I was planning to reduced the lights a bit (they are already not very high) and see if I can up the DIY yeast CO2. The plants are all thriving otherwise. Any advice is very welcome.

Mario

Unfortunately, the particular algae you seem to have is very similar to higher plants in its requirements.

Manual removal is your best bet . Not sure spot treating with excel works on this type.

I dont see any green strands in the pic ypu posted though? All i can see is some green/brown film in a few spots in the glass.

I think is green filamentous algae
Have a read at this: < Algae Guide >

I was planning to reduced the lights a bit (they are already not very high) and see if I can up the DIY yeast CO2
When you change parameters, don't change several at the same time else it will be difficult to know what it is that was wrong. If you say that light is not that high then maybe you should look at your CO2 first. I saw your neat setup that controls excess CO2, but how do you manage when CO2 drops? DIY CO2 setups are not reliable and in fact will cost you more in the long run. A good addition to your tank would be a skimmer to make sure you have a crystal clear surface for proper gas exchange. This in return will allow you to pump more CO2 while also allowing more O2 in the water.

Back