• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staghorn Algae

Superman

I'm getting staghorn algae on old leaves and leaves directly in the flow of the spray bar outlet.

I've removed as much as I can from the leaves but it keeps coming back in the same place, leading me to believe that the plant is leeching something to feed the algae. Therefore, the only possibility is that I have to remove the infested leaves.

I've increased flow and co2 levels are good around the tank.

The main reason seems to be leaves adjusting to their new position in the tank.

Has anyone had persistant problems with staghorn algae?

I'm having one right now. I wasn't too well last week and I neglected the tank a bit. The water level dropped and COâ‚‚ was reduced due to bubbling. It's quite amazing how fast this stuff took over. I had strands on the spraybar 2 inches long in next to no time. I pulled the worst leaves off the crypts and I've upped COâ‚‚ and my dosing and I'm adding a little Excel for a while aswell. Just waiting now to see what happens.

hi clark,
i had some on my ferns in front of my spraybar.plenty of flow there.drop checker yellow but fish ok.i know i need better flow but not there.filter and substrate clean.had disturbed substrate though.ammonia :!: .removed leaves,did 3 day blackout,wc.only 4 days since but no sign of it yet.

EasyCarbo/Excel etc does kill off Staghorn very quickly - it seems to start going a red/brown colour then slowly die back.

The only time I've ever had it was with DIY CO2, too much lighting for the CO2 levels, and bad filter maintenance and/or an under-rated filter.

Most of my staghorn seems to have disappeared now. It turned red when I got the COâ‚‚ right and just seemed to break off the leaves. I still have a few little red bits around but I haven't actively cleaned it away so I'm ok with that.

Back