• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bottom Dwellers

Mike Parnaby

So, I am about to set up a 20 gallon planted tank. Nothing too fancy, and there will be around 10-12 free swimming fish in there, little ones like neons or ember tetras. I would like a couple of horned nerite snails to munch on algae, and a few Amano shrimps, or Cherry shrimps for fun. My question is what bottom dwellers would you add and how many? I have wondered about pygmy cory's, otocinclus catfish and even a Bristlenose (although I suspect he would outgrow the tank and so have ruled that option out for now). I would guess that the Cory's are more hardy and easier to feed than the otto's but the otto's would be better with algae control. Help!

I wouldn't add a bristle nose - big, but also very messy. Pygmy's aren't really a bottom dweller they are mid water, you could look at habrosus cory though - still small but more traditional in cory behaviour. Otos are nice, but again wouldn't really call them a bottom dweller - they'll be all over the tank - they do swim quick when they go so watch tank length. What do you actually want? Something actually on the bottom, or near the bottom, or just looking for something else to add, bold or do you like playing spot the fish?

The Habrosus (aka Salt N Pepper) Corys are great little fish, generally enjoying hiding places on the bottom but do swim around at times, they really need to be in as large a group as possible, at least 6.
For your size tank you could easily take on 6 to 12. Ours bred and did see the fry in the tank, but non survived, expect they were eaten by other fish ?

Otos, think the are more for a well established tank with has the right kind of algea for them, read of folk who add them to a new tank but they soon die off.

Cherry Shrimp, also thought 6 would lok good int the tank, what a mistake ! within a couple of months literally had hundreds !! Unless you have a shrimp predator they will just overtake your tank imho.
Also your snail population will decrease as the shrimps take all the spare food.

For other fish, rather than the typical Guppys, find the smaller male Endlers a lot better in a small tank.

If you like pygmy corys but want a true bottom dweller I'd vote for panda corys. They don't get as big as a standard bronze cory, and are just so cute. If you do get corys they prefer a nice soft sand, it's so fun to watch them dig around, and they keep the sand absolutely pristine. In my opinion, if you have sand, you need corys! 😊

Also, if you do go for ember tetras, I've found that they're very shy, and enjoy lots of plants to dart in and out of. If you want a more 'active' tank, then some endler males as dino suggested would be nice.

Back