• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worms and water fleas

I noticed some of these in my shrimp tank the other day. An unavoidable consequence I suppose of using rainwater from a butt. I do filter it as best I can but very small organisms will get through I suppose.
They look a bit unsightly, is there any type of treatment I can add to the tank to kill them?

Hi all,
I noticed some of these in my shrimp tank the other day. An unavoidable consequence I suppose of using rainwater from a butt. I do filter it as best I can but very small organisms will get through I suppose.
They look a bit unsightly, is there any type of treatment I can add to the tank to kill them?
Daphnia are crustaceans, like your shrimp, so any chemical treatment that kills them will also kill your shrimps.

If the worms are rapid wrigglers? They are also harmless.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,Daphnia are crustaceans, like your shrimp, so any chemical treatment that kills them will also kill your shrimps.

If the worms are rapid wrigglers? They are also harmless.

Cheers Darrel
Thanks for that Darrel. I think most of them have been sucked into the filter.
I normally double filter rainwater through kitchen towel but I’m now giving it another pass. This time through a coffee filter! :)
A6139A55-029F-4AAE-AF6E-14EB70C8E3D4.jpeg

Hi all,
Thanks for that Darrel. I think most of them have been sucked into the filter.
I normally double filter rainwater through kitchen towel but I’m now giving it another pass. This time through a coffee filter! :)
Daphnia usually don't last long with a powered filter.

The Daphnia are actually one of the things I like about rain-water, as long as they are present water quality should be OK.

Cheers Darrel

Back